96 ½ ton 4x4 Front Axle Nut: Thread size?

Last visit to the dealer years ago (mistake) caused a cross-threaded spindle nut on my '96 Ram 1500 4WD. Found it when I had to replace the U-joints a year later. I managed to cram the nut back on but have been dreading a wheel falling off ever since.

Does anyone know the size of the thread on the front axle stub? I'd like to get a rethreader, without the entire kit. One die costs 7. The kit is 89.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Marty, certified cheapskate.

Reply to
oink

Half the damage is in the nut, the other half in the spindle. A re-threading will not restore the strength as it cuts away the damaged parts of the thread leaving places where the nut has nothing to grip.

Please replace the spindle.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

I have to agree with Budd here. It is probably stronger now than it will be after you rethread it. But hey, if your vehicle and you life isn't worth around 90 bucks....

Reply to
TBone

Okay T-bone. Now can you answer the question, or just more smart-aleck answers? I'm asking the size of the threads, not to let try your hand at being cute. I would like to rethread the axle. If you don't have any idea what size thread it is, or have nothing of import to add, please do not respond.

And a _thank you_ to Mr. Budd Cochran for a civil and complete response. He is what news used to be about.

M.

Reply to
oink

You're welcome, of course. Thank you for the kind words.

I don't know the thread size (diameter), but if you count the thread's pitch ( number of threads per inch) you may be able to find a thread file ( a square file with a surface that looks like several small triangular files side-by-side. There should be one available in the right pitch) to touch them up. I think a thread die is going to either be hard to find or very expensive . . .maybe as much as a used spindle.

If you decide to look for a die or re-threader, measure the thread diameter and the thread pitch. they might be in either US inches or Metric sizes. Take the diameter to the nearest larger fraction of an inch or nearest larger metric measurement and go surfing.

Alternatively, you can get a triangular file and use it, but ( and it's a BIG "BUT") you will have to be extremely careful so you don't follow the stripped threads instead of the correct threads when filing. The easiest way? remove the spindle from the truck and head for the nearest bench vise.

Can't remove it? Apply preferred expletives. It's gonna be heck to do on the truck.

BTDT, sorta. It was a threaded stub (threaded on a lathe...no die to chase the threads with!!!) on a 10,000 lb smack press, 12 feet off the floor using a Craftsman thread file. It took thirty minutes of hanging on ladder to get it fixed. It was about the size of your spindle and the bad thread was only about two inches square.

Here's hoping for ya!

Budd

***
Reply to
Budd Cochran

I think I'm going to take your original suggestion and invest in a new axle assembly. What the heck, the brakes need parts for the millionth time, also.

Thanks for your help and expertise.

Marty

***

Reply to
oink

You're welcome, of course. Let us know how it works out. We add it to our knowledge and share with future posters.

Reply to
Budd Cochran