Re: Welder

All

> > I have never welded before, but I would like to start.

Go take a class at your local votech. That will teach you all the basics and give you a better idea on what you would want to buy for yourself.

Reply to
DougW

awesome!

first off, i recommend that you educate yourself before purchasing _anything_. check with your local tech school and see what they offer in the way of basic welding courses. even a short 6 week course going 2 nights a week can be very beneficial to a newbie.

im thinking you _really_ need more education first. youve never welded before but you want to jump into plasma welding? and for jeep type fabrication?

great for cutting! not so great for welding unless youre referencing body panels.

_anything_ will in inexperienced hands.....just like anything will weld beatifully on the same panels in experienced hands.

tech school first, then become the best welder you know! if you have any questions along the way id be happy to answer them.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

All,

I am not at all unfamiliar with welding, coming from 15 years in the brewing industry where welding was everywhere, as well as 30 years hanging around auto garages while they repaired my rusted heaps. I definitely want to take some courses, and I understand the need to get exposure to different types of technology. But usually when I adopt a new hobby, I start with "starter" stuff - the technology used when others started out gaining experience - then buying new technology as I became more experienced. A pattern like torches - MIG - TIG - Plasma. I just want to start with the best technology this time - I don't want to repeat history. It would be one thing if there were a huge difference in price, but in the research I've been doing, it appears plasma is the best technology out there. I don't have a lot of years left to learn Oxy/Ac then MIG then plasma - just want to do it right the first time and invest in the best all-around technology from the start. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Dana

Reply to
Boreal

Dana, I have experience plasma welding stainless steel. In my opinion I would use a TIG welder instead.

A plasma welder will not put as much heat into the surrounding area. Which is always good And you can have 100% penetration with a much narrower weld.

But it was hard to keep everything working on the plasma welder. There's a lot more things to go wrong with it.

If you really think you need plasma just skip over it and go straight to laser. $$$

A good 200 amp TIG rig will do you right.

Just my .02

Mark Burns

Reply to
Mark Burns

Reply to
Roy Jenson

i agree with roy 100%.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

for certain applications, yes. for typical jeep fabrication, no. before you purchase anything, learn how to "stick" weld. the principles and proceedures involved in "stick" welding apply across the board and will make you a better welder no matter what process you ultimately decide up. after you learn to "stick" weld, buy yourself a "mig" and be done with all the crap. also get a chop saw, a good 4.5" grinder, and a torch.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier