Parasitic currnet drain, 2001 QC2500 4x4 V8

Ok, I've done the meter test at the battery and disconnected each and every fuse one by one in order to narrow down my search but thus far, the drain still exists. Anyone have any insight as to a possible or typical problem with this model?

New battery was installed btw.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

How much "parasitic" current is being drawn??

Reply to
Fearless Fred

The 'putor steals some juice as well. Aftermarket theft system?

Roy

Reply to
Roy

There is sufficient drain overnight to render a quick start impossible. I had to resort to push starts...and I tell ya... pushing this beast uphill fast enough is hard. :^)

Anyway...I think I may have found the cuplrit. I went ahead and disconnected all the positive leads and reconnected them one by one. As I reconnected the plow leads I realized the relays, for the plow system, were clicking....little light goes off in my head....that's gotta be it. So as of this moment, the plow leads are disconnected and I'm checking to see if the drain is still ongoing. I should know here shortly.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Ding ding ding ding...that was it. One of the relays was a tad bit warm for the amount of use that was required of it...which is nil considering it's summer. Upon removing the relay my battery voltage immediately ceased dropping and actually increased .02 v. I'm certian this has happened for the last time. Now to figure out why the system all of a sudden began energizing and draining my battery down.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

That isn't parasitic drain. That's rape of a battery.

If you are useing a joy stick it could be hanging up and not quite centered. You might want to unplug that as well.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Ok...turns out the new battery I installed had an internal cell that was shorting out. This makes the second Optima battery I had that crapped out on me. I'm thinking the Optimas are not worth the investment. The battery I got from the dealer cost much less ($90 or so) than the Optima, has a higher RC and higher CCA if I recall.

Bottom line...don't waste your money on the Optima batteries...IMO.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Something to think about next battery.

Reply to
Roy

I've been using Interstate "Workaholic" batteries for some years now... zero issues in several vehicles and other applications. I keep trickle chargers on the lesser-used batteries. Bryan

Reply to
Bryan