Performance Plate on old style Cummins

Hi again,

Thanks for giving me suggestions on what the repair could have been on my older style Cummins '98 Manual 5 speed shifting problem a few postings back. Now that I have the powertrain back in order, I want to put in what this Diesel performance place calls a Performance plate on my injector pump. He suggests that they take the pump out (R & R pump $300.00) then calibrate the pump (calibration 275.00) and then install performance plate ( retails at 295.00). He claims I will get an additional 85 HP. The Cummins motor has never been modified in any way. Can anyone speak from experience in doing this? He says I will get a 25% loss in fuel savings as a result of the modification also but have a guy at work telling me the total opposite, he's saying my fuel consumption would be less as I gain HP. I dunno what to do about this... any thoughts on this?...Thanks...jimi

Reply to
Jimi

Now, you have a choice.. who do you believe... the guy at the diesel performance shop (who does this for a living, BTW), or "a guy from work"?

Mike

*There ain't no such thing as a free lunch
Reply to
Mike Simmons

How many miles on this engine? I thought you had a bunch. Stepping up the HP leads to two things. More power and more parts. Everything downstream from the engine is going to take a beating. So figure on clutch assy at the least. Regards fuel consumption. The Cummins make's power through additional fuel and once you get ability to use the additional power, believe me you will.

Just a thought you may want to look into bigger injectors first. I'm not sure how big you can go without other mods but it might be worth looking into.

One other thing, maybe it is me but the price seems a bit steep for the work involved. You might want to look into doing it yourself or shopping it around. I'm sure one of the guy's at the tdr would walk you through it. Or one of them might live near you and come over and help you. That's how that group works.

You really should go here:

and read up on what you want to do. The folks there drink diesel fuel instead of coffee.

Reply to
Roy

Here's a little more information on the plate:

Summit Racing sells the plate for $226.

If you make more power by making the engine more efficient, then you'll get better mileage as long as you don't use all that extra power.

But a diesel is a little differant. It makes more power in this case simply by adding more fuel, and allowing more rpm's. This will most likely cause a decrease in fuel mileage.

So, you have to ask yourself. Do you really "Need" another 80'ish hp? And are you willing to pay for it at the pump?

Reply to
.boB
92 12 valve - bigger injectors & smaller turbo housing for more boost. Went from 155hp to 205hp on dyno. Mileage didn't go down IF I didn't use the extra hp - YOU WILL!!
Reply to
617211

My age starts to show when I see a '98 referred to as "old". I think I'll go have a good cry.

Reply to
John Kunkel

The hell with the cry! I'm going for a beer.

Reply to
Roy

I can still remember the 1955 car ads:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

1955, thanks for reminding me how old I could be! ;^)
Reply to
azwiley1