Comments requested on '99 2500 Cummins 4x4

I found a nice '99 Dodge 2500 Cummins powered, automatic trans. 4x4 Quad Cab with some useful aftermarket stuff (airbag rear assist springs, pre/post oiler, multi type bed mount hitch, 105 gal. in bed fuel tank) with 120K miles for sale. I remember hearing some bad stories about the Dodge automatic transmissions, but I don't remember when they got them worked out.

My main question is regarding the reliability of the transmission, but any suggestions regarding what to look for or beware of are appreciated.

For what it's worth I have a '99 1500 5.9L 4x4 automatic quad cab that has been very reliable.

Reply to
Ed H.

Forgot to mention, has anyone had problems with the ultralow sulphur diesel that is now nationwide?

Reply to
Ed H.

53 Block info:
Nosey

Reply to
Ed H.

Yes. Drop in fuel economy.

Reply to
Trent

I have seen some with milage rebuilt. Expect to fork out at least $2000 for a rebuild. It depends on the previous owener also if they took care of the truck.

My 2000 has hit 105k and I am second owner. The first owner put some after market stuff on it that should give me longer life and better performance on mine. The trans in the 1500 and 2500 are not same.

If I am not mistaken Dodge now has an option for a 5 speed Allison now.

Reply to
Trent

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

I was going by what a salesman told me. I looked on the lot for one, but could not find

Reply to
Trent

Trent:

Rule #1: Always take what a salesman tells you with a grain of salt. They (sadly) are rarely knowledgeable about the products they sell.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Thanks to all who responded. I checked it out this afternoon and decided it's not what I want.

Reply to
Ed H.

Sad, but true. When I bought my first and second new trucks (20 and 8 years ago respectively), the salesmen knew a lot about them. Lately I've noticed mostly young guys with little knowledge trying to charm me into a truck rather than sell me on one.

Reply to
Ed H.

Coincidence or not, I don't know, but after 2 tanks of ULSD, the transfer pump leaked like a sieve from the electrical connector on my '99.

It seems that Cummins issued an "Early Warning" about this in '05 (although I was unable to find it on Cummins' site, and the local Cummins shop was not familiar with it).

mopurist