Pulling Codes on 2004 Dodge Ram 1500

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L HEMI and am having a hard time pulling the diagnostic trouble codes from it. The MIL has come on and off a few times over the last couple weeks and I finally decided I wanted to know what the code(s) were that got strored. There are are no outward signs of any problems whatsoever. Every Dodge I've ever seen could have the codes pulled by cycling the ignition key 3 times from off to on. I tried this every way I can think of on this truck and nothing seems to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reply to
tcconrad

I'm not sure what else to tell you - this absolutely works. Starting in the OFF position, cycle the key to ON (where the instrument panel lights illuminate), then back one notch to OFF, back to ON, then to OFF, then finally to ON. Any stored codes will be displayed on the odometer.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Much to my dismay, I couldn't get this to work on the wife's Liberty either when the Check Engine light came on. I thought Jeep would work like a Dodge, but I finally decided that I was wrong and took it to the dealership and let them figure it out.

Ended up being a bad EGR.

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

Understood. I've done this probably hundreds of times in the past. I tried 3 times just to OFF, 3 times to ACC, 3 times to Key removal position and nothing seems to work. It's been a while since I've done this but my recollection is that if no codes are actually stored then it give a Pdone or something along those lines to at least let you know a test was run and nothing was stored.

Reply to
tcconrad

That's interesting because my wife has a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee and this code pulling procedure works fine on that.

Reply to
tcat

it does not work on the Liberty CRD with the VM-Motori engine. its not a Diamler crystler ECM. (from what a service manager friend of mine has told me)

Reply to
Chris Thompson

switch all the way to the run position then back to off. do not hit the start position though. should work fine.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

No luck.

Reply to
tcat

Ah. Makes sense.

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

Same with my 04, could not get a thing

Reply to
Wing Nut

dont know what to tell ya fellas. works on the 05 i currently own.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

How about this,

Stop pulling your codes! (at least in a public forum!)

Reply to
azwiley1

replying to Craig C., S.Folsom789 wrote: On the liberty you leave the key in the on position the 4th time.

Reply to
S.Folsom789