Put a carb in a '91 Dakota?

We bought an 87 Dakota when they first came out, and had to get a '91 with Club Cab when our son was born. Drove it for 240,000 miles and had a cracked block. Should have gotten a new engine, but bought an '03 Dakota that my wife now drives every day. Well, the guy I sold the '91 to had a new block put in and repainted it. Drove great for 4 years, but now has problems with the computer wiring harness, and might sell or trade it back to me.

Since we don't need emissions checked on '91 vehicles here, I was wondering how much work it would be to rip that computer out of the truck and drive it for another 15 years. Since it's a 318, I should be able to find a manifold & carb. Would I have to get another transmission, since it's controlled by the computer? The tranny's not %100 anyway. What are my non-electric tranny choices?

Reply to
Bruce Porter

Since we don't need emissions checked on '91 vehicles here, I was

You need an intake manifold and carburetor as well as a distributor to make the engine run. Retrofit the older magnetic pickup distributor and wiring for this. I presume you can get the fuel pump to operate without the computer? If not, you can retrofit a mechanical unit, but, it's a big retrofit, IIRC, it requires a specific camshaft and an eccentric. I believe these are Dakota specific parts?

The overdrive and lockup for the transmission can be controlled with switches mounted within your reach in the cab.

As to the operation of the rest of the truck sans computer, I don't know.

Reply to
BigIronRam

Like BIR said, you can control your tranny's limited electronic functions (TCC lockup, and OD engagement) with some sensors and switches. See this website for more information:

Tom Lawrence

What could a harness cost?

Reply to
ks

I hadn't checked myself yet, but many parts for a '91 are impossible to find, they made changes before & after that year. I couldn't get a belt tensioner/idler pully 5 years ago - a mechanic rigged one up from parts from 2 other models. The only way I would want the truck, is with a carb & ignition system I can fix myself.

Reply to
Bruce Porter

Great stuff there, thanks!

Reply to