Ram 1500 (to buy or not to buy)

Looking at a Ram 1500, standard cab LB. 2001 series with the V-6. 2WD. It's really a good looking truck and drives well. (A few cosmetic issues but nothing major.) Here are the problems my mechanic (formerly at a local Dodge dealreship) found on a pre-sale inspection today.

Windshield replacement (cracked all the way across) Leaking rear differential New serpetine belt (factory original is on there at 84,000 miles) New plugs and wires (all original) Drivers side tail light Left side valve cover leaking oil

- Plus, it has two open recalls on it.

Ideas? Suggestions? Things I should know and/or worry about?

Thanks a million!

Reply to
russschell

The biggest issue that I see is that 6 cylinder. That is a lot of truck for that 6 to haul around. That rear axle will probably need a rebuild if it hasn't been done already as they are a problem with this truck and that leaking seal indicates that it is either in need of repair or was repaired and they screwed up replacing the seal. The belt is no big deal but I would look into replacing the tensioner and idler pulley as well as they are about due. If they are the factory plugs, they are going to be a bitch to remove but not an expensive item. The dealer should take care of the recalls and the valve cover is not all that difficult to replace the gasket. All in all, it does not sound all that bad but another area to look at is the transmission. I suspect that it is an automatic and if so, see if you can find how it was maintained. They seem to do well if maintained properly but will fail soon at this mileage if it was not. Good luck.

Reply to
TBone

I had a 99 and ran it hard, though I always put better than OEM parts, oil etc on it.

I amassed 85k miles on it before I wrecked it. Never had a problem with the engine and it never even leaked oil. I had the 5 speed which helped with the engine power and fuel economy.

You wil get disappointed with the power of the engine and it gets no better fuel economy than the V8s because the engine is underpowered for the size of the truck. It even struggles to go over a little overpass when in final gear while my 2000 w/Cummins barely bats an eye with a long 10% grade.

Reply to
GeekBoy

I think (after one day with the truck) that both of you (TBone and G...) are on the money. The V6/auto is underpowered in most cirsumstances. Fortunately, I live in the midwest flatlands and don't tow anything. Gas mileage may not be great for a V6 (my Taurus gets

29mpg highway but then the 'vette would be thrilled to do half of that) yet it pulls the truck around well here in the 'burbs and on the interstate. I can't compare this, or anything for that matter, to a turbo-diesel so I won't try. Still, I think that for $5200 nearly anyone would jump at this truck unless there's a really SERIOUS flaw somewhere in the model, year, or design.

Thoughts?

Reply to
russschell

the truck itself should be a good truck. if your happy with the power of te v6 than great. it'll be your truck. for most of us who tow and work the trucks we own the v6 is grossly under powered. that being said if all others things are well then I'm happy for you.

-chris

05 CTD 06 Liberty CRD
Reply to
Chris Thompson

Once you start to use it as a truck (helping friends move, bring home a load of cinder blocks or lumber for a home improvment project, etc.) you will probably wish you had more engine. You might look at the Kelly Blue Book suggested prices at

as a reference as $5,200 seems high for a V6. Personally, I would spend a little more for a larger engine (I have a '99 5.9L 1/2 ton) and have had occasion to wish I had gone with a 3/4 ton and maybe a diesel. Of course it depends on what you plan to do with it, but as I mention, once you start to use it as a truck, you may want more truck.

Reply to
Ed H.

It's only $5200 because of that V6. With my V6 I towed the biggest Uhaul trailer loaded down and bed also full to California. I did the trip via I-10 then north up I-5. Before the hit the California Valley that runs most of the center of California, you have to run up a long moutain before you start heading down again. I was in 3rd gear (out of 5) the whole way and max speed of 45-50.

While on a flat surface I could get up to 70-75, but only getting less than

10 MPG. On the trip back I had the Cummins and had the long bed and loaded the truck down a LOT more. Last time the bed only had a few pieces furniture, while this time the bed was packed tightly and the stuff rose about 2 feet over the cab. Went up the same moutain with ease and did 14MPG on flat surface.

This is just to give you an example why you would pay only $5200 for yours while I could fetch $10k more for basically the same truck body. When I got the 99 V6 it was in 2000 and the dealer wanted $3000-4000 more for the V8s.

Reply to
GeekBoy

I get a kick out of you diesel lovers! Now don't get me wrong, if I could put a diesel to work enough to justify it I would buy one without question, but probably 90% of people that buy pickups rarely tow much of anything, or haul anything either. the vast majority of the time the truck goes a few miles back and forth to work, then maybe to the home center on the weekend to buy a couple 2x4's and a piece of plywood. Hardly enough to justify the extra purchase price, and heavier truck for what normal use is the commute to work. Unless my lifestyle changed greatly I would never own a diesel. I would just ruin it with the 2-3 mile drives it would get. Like I said, if I was hauling some weight, towing a camper a bunch of miles a year, no question, get the diesel, but for the average Joe, no way. I am not a big fan of the V6 either, but for my use it would be fine. The V8 would be a better choice. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

2-3 mile drives? So you just use your truck to go down the driveway and get the mail? :)
Reply to
Tom Lawrence

If you're not towing or hauling, but only going to the home center for a couple 2x4s and a piece of plywood why not buy a trailer to tow behind your daily driver? That would be much more economical than a truck as a daily driver and more comfortable too. Or get a very used heavy duty truck to only use for going to the home center. Of course if you can only have 1 vehicle then the truck may make sense.

Reply to
Ed H.

The truck sounds pretty nice overall. Of course, you should always try to deal down to a lower price if possible. Ultimately, though, it is your decision, if you like the truck, and everyone here thinks it sounds in decent shape, you might as well go for it. As far as diesel, I personally would not pay the $4K extra (in addition to $.40-.

50 more a gallon diesel fuel), seeing as I only drive about 30 miles a day, and the heaviest thing I tow is a jetski. I also live in the flatlands USA, so I can relate to you on that point, lol!
Reply to
9DodgeFan

Well, lets see...I get ~5-10 MPG better fuel econmy over the gas engine and expect the engine to last 4-5 times longer, and more heavy duty suspension. I guess you are right, V8 gas is a better choice.....if you want to waste money.

Reply to
GeekBoy

Here we go again... let's just leave it that I didn't have the dough for the diesel at the time, since you won't be able to make stupid arguments with that (unless you want to provide me with the $$$ yourself). Forget the fact that I already explained why I chose the gas engine, since apparently everyone has the same exact vehicle needs, driving conditions, and deep pockets as you. Also, my 1/2 ton suspension holds up quite well for what I use it for (as I already explained), but thanks for your concern!

Reply to
9DodgeFan

The point I am trying to make is that a diesel is far from the best choice for everyone. For the difference in price I can buy a bunch of gasoline. The difference in the amount of fuel used and the difference is price makes the extra price of a diesel to a gasser a wash, pretty much even. Few people need a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup. As for the engine lasting 4-5 times longer, I get around 200,000 miles out of a vehicle before it rusts away. A gas engine with proper matainance will do 200,000 miles before it needs major work, and for me, by then the rest of the vehicle is shot, so the longer running engine has zero benefit. Also for me I rarely get out on the road with a vehicle, trips around town, and back and forth to work are about it. Again poor use of a diesel. If I am vacationing I am on my motorcycle. Geekboy, just to clarify, are you saying I should drive a diesel for an everyday vehicle, when I put on maybe four miles, round trip to work? A diesel may be the best bet for you, but not everyone.

And to Tom, yes, less than two miles to work, maybe four miles on a daily commute!

To Ed, yes, a trailer is a better choice for light use.

Actually right now I don't even own a truck. I have a company provided GMC van. The wife has a '93 Caprice in very nice shape, and it pulls a small trailer just fine. She puts on maybe 5000 miles a year. The last pickup I owned was a Ford 4x4 although when the Caprice dies we may get a pickup to replace it. I think I put 2000 miles on the Ford the last four years I owned it. Yep, I need a Dodge one ton diesel! What it comes down to is many people really can not justify owning a pickup, but have one anyway. I suppose they should all drive diesels. My neighbor owns two pickups, one he bought just for his job. Strange that he has had the job for several years, and hauled his tools around in the trunk of his Bonneville for years. I guess he needs a diesel too! On the other hand my boss has a big ass fifth wheel camper trailer that he tows all over, He gets good use out of his diesel. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I'd say a bicycle would be your best mode of transportation to work!

Excellent gas mileage too!

SMH

Reply to
Stephen Harding

How did ya get to work today??

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Bicycle!

About -5F starting out, but no wind, so not so bad.

I did whimp out using my Dodge "Global Warmer" on Monday (Tuesday?) with the 0F temps and alleged -27F wind chills though.

Even very avid bicyclists have their limits!

SMH

Reply to
Stephen Harding