Re: 96 Dakota Fuel Problem

1996 Dakota 318 V8, 172000 miles

> > The problem I have is when the vehicle is cold (sits overnight, or for a > couple hours) I have to turn the key on and let the fuel pump run for a few > seconds. If I don't, it just turns over for a long time before it starts. > > I had a GM vehicle that did this, and it was some kind of check valve in the > fuel system that stops the fuel from running back into the tank. > > I was told on this Dakota that the check valve (I don't know if that's > actually what it's called) is located in the tank with the fuel pump. > > I guess my question is this: If I replace the fuel pump, will this fix the > problem, or is the check valve another part that needs to be replaced? I'm > pretty sure this is the original fuel pump, and the truck has 172,000 miles, > so I won't mind replacing it, if that will fix the problem.

Replacing the fuel pump is expensive, and it's not gauranteed to be any better. The shop manual has the spec for how long the system must hold it's pressure, and I think it's only about 15 minutes.

I bought my '95 Dakota new and it has always been like yours. I just got used to turning the key to on, waiting for the click, then starting.

Reply to
E Frank Ball III

Two separate things. If you don't mind pressurizing the fuel system for a couple of seconds prior to starting the engine, then that's fine. It'll just be one of those "old vehicle quirks". My '95's got a bunch of 'em.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence