Re: Anyone know what this means: Alpha P Code of P1491 Secondary Switch Solenoid Circuit Mulfunction

My guess is that the relay or speed control is not your ploblem. Water ingress is. Once you find the relay, carefully find the temperature sensor and carefully examine the wiring harness(es) and parts for water penitration. Steve

Whenever it rains the engine light comes on my Dodge Grand Caravan and > sometimes the radiator fans continue to run after I turn off the engine. > They (2 fans) will run until the battery is dead. It never happens when > it > is not raining. I swapped a couple of the relays around and the problem > did > not show up again. Yet a couple of days ago the engine lite came back on > coming back to Dallas from East Texas in heavy rain. This time the > radiator > fans did not continue to spin and run down the battery when I turned the > engine off, yet by the time I got home it was not raining. I took the Van > to > AutoZone and they read the computer code for me. They did not know what it > means. In a previous post I was told it was the radiator relay under the > aircleaner box but I cannot see any relays underneath there. All the > relays > appear to be beside the battery and a few under the dash, yet there is > nothing labeled radiator fans in the bank of relays. Searching >
I did find some relays that almost look like the> ones in the relay bank next to the battery. But what caught my attention> was the one that looks like:>
it is labeled "engine cooling fan relay":> I am wondering if this is mounted on the chassis somewhere, maybe under > the > air filter box as I was told earlier. I have 2 questions: > > 1. Does the "engine cooling fan relay" mount on the chassis and if so > where > is it located, can I see it without removing the air filter box. > 2. What does the code below indicate is wrong. > > This is what the Autoz> > TroubleCode OBDII (Alpha) P code > > P1491 Secondary Switch Solenoid Circuit Mulfunction > Any ideas? Thanks in Advance... > > -- > John Behneman > john (dot) behneman (at) gmail (dot) com > >
Reply to
Steve Lusardi

I finally found the Speed Control it is behind/underneath the front Drivers side headlight has a part number of 04707286AF- RevA 64469D 1820G. It looks like it is riveted in it would be exposed to water should it rain I might try making it water proof some how. This number matches the link that I found.

Thanks everyone.

Reply to
JohnB

Reply to