Re: Has anyone here "de-rattled" the tailgate of an old caravan?

I replaced the speakers in the tailgate of my '94 Caravan. Unfortunately,

>the door rattles like crazy with significant bass in music. If anyone have >worked on this problem, I'd love to get some hints as to what likely needs >to be done to get rid of the rattles.

Disconnect the wires to one side or the other. Then (assuming there is more than one speaker in the l/r set) disconnect the other speakers in the set until you find out which side set/individual speaker is the problem.

I'm guessing but I expect when you replaced the speakers you reused some hardware that is designed for one time use.

Often what is intended as sound dead-ing will become resonate to the lows if it's disturbed.

Reply to
NotMe

What's the depth of the speakers as compared to the depth of the old speakers. I guess (dangerous practice) they are just a bit deeper and the magnets are pulling on the sheet metal in sync with the bass.

Reply to
NotMe

Interesting theory. I wouldn't have thought of that, but it seems to make sense.

The other day, I soldered some wires onto some speaker terminals. The magnet was somewhat strong, and I could feel the soldering iron buzz whenever I touched the terminal to solder or (if i remember correctly) when I moved the tip near at all to the magnet.

Once the speakers have music flowing through them, I could imagine periods of the magnetic field being stronger than at rest.

Reply to
Nza

Interesting theory. I wouldn't have thought of that, but it seems to make sense.

The other day, I soldered some wires onto some speaker terminals. The magnet was somewhat strong, and I could feel the soldering iron buzz whenever I touched the terminal to solder or (if i remember correctly) when I moved the tip near at all to the magnet.

Once the speakers have music flowing through them, I could imagine periods of the magnetic field being stronger than at rest.

{{

Not a theory but an observation from when I operated a mobile installation shop. BTW 'bigger' speakers don't automatically equate to better sound as speakers should be matched to the ride.

Reply to
NotMe

no doubt. most speakers are way overpowered for the application. you don't need 10,000w to lose your hearing..

Reply to
Nza