Slows and dies. Repeatedly.

87 Dodge van. 318 engine. 145K miles. Four barrel carb.

Slows, and only goes about 20 MPH. With gentle throttle. Flooring it causes it to die completely.

After doing this for awhile, slows and dies. Restarts after a couple minutes, restarts easier with a squirt of ether. Then drives for another hundred feet or so.

Problem is intermittent. Two weeks ago, had the problem. So I added drygas, and filled the tank. It was fine for about two weeks.

Did it again yesterday, had to call a tow truck to get me home.

Today I checked the fuel delivery, put a paper napkin over the high side line coming off the fuel pump. Run the startter, and the paper napkin soaked right through with gasoline. Changed the fuel filter, it's starting to rain. It's good and wet out there.

I've heard an assortment of theories. But there are some really good Mopar experts on this group. What comes to mind, in terms of problems and repairs?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

When it won't start open the hood and check to see if you are getting spark and/or fuel. When you figure that out you will know which way to proceed. To me it sounds like an ignition problem.

Reply to
Mike

SOunds like a fuel pressure problem.

Reply to
.boB

Reply to
S. A. King

Couple minutes from now, I'm going on the maiden voyage down to the gas station. I think the problem was rotted out fuel line. Replaced 10 feet or so of 3/8 inch rust, that was pretending to be fuel line.

Now the van runs continuous, instead of one second at a time.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The titanic made it to and from the gas station. So, unless something is leaking (not likely) the case is closed. Until it breaks again.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think the problem was rotted out fuel line. Replaced 10

crap. I'd rebuild the carb. I had something similar and that was problem and solution.

Reply to
clannorm

Hmm. Are you suggesting that I take the carb apart, and have it rebuilt?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes It wasn't too much for the rebuild kit and only took a few hours. Just follow the instructions. Of course I took it apart before I had them and that was a mistake. Get kit, read instructions and then take apart. Ken

Reply to
clannorm

Why would I rebuild the carb when replacing the fuel line fixed the problem?

The titanic made it to and from the gas station. So, unless something is leaking (not likely) the case is closed. Until it breaks again.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

News flash! Went for a short drive today (two city blocks) and the problem is still there. Slows, acts sluggist. restarts after awhile, if I hold the pedal to the floor. Slugs along, and then runs but very little power.

Changed the air filter, and will see if that helps.

Incidentally, I had the carb rebuilt last year. By a repair garage that has done a lot of carbs. Feels like the choke opens very slowly. But that might be just that the air filter was clogged, and the machine was running rich.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Test drive. Got around two corners, and died. Managed to get it restarted. After many tries. Home. Cleaned the ground on the ignition module, and it runs a lot better. Will test drive again tomorrow.

I had coated the contact points with grease, to keep water out. Cleaned that all out, and applied No-Al-Ox for electrical wires. Hope that works better.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

May have got it. Yesterday I bought a coil and a set of sparks. Figured the spark voltage mighta been low. From the center coil wire there definitely was spark, but a bit pale and yellow. Not bright blue.

I changed the cap and rotor, and then changed the four easy plugs, passenger side. They were lampblack all over the insulator in the center of the plug.

Just for fun, turn the key and it fired right up. I did change the other four, cause they woulda been the same. At the moment, I'm cleaning the plugs with oven cleaner and a tooth brush, figure I can put em back in some time. Next time I do a tune up.

My best guess what happened, the air filter was clogged with dust, oil, etc. So the mixture riched up, and the plugs fouled. Not sure the coil was bad, but for $13 and non returnable I'll leave that in.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon