Terk XM Direct installation in 2001 Ram

I'm planning to install the Terk XM Direct tuner along with the adapter for my alpine stereo.

Any good tips on where to install the tunner and adapter? Any good tips for where to mount the antenna and routing of cable for it?

Reply to
miles

Under the center seat/console should be a good area. Route the wires underneath the carpet, and up behind the dash. You can remove the four bolts from underneath the console, and just pull it out of the truck. That'll make working much easier. Heck, maybe even mount the tuner to the frame of the console... less holes in the floor that way :)

On my '03, there was a nice deep channel between the top of the windshield and the body. I mounted the antenna ('mounted' is a strong word... 'stuck' would be better, as it's a pretty powerful magnet) just below the center marker light, and ran the wire inside that windshield groove (a little dab of clear silicone kept it in place), and underneath the weatherstripping of the driver's side door. I cut a notch in the pinch-weld that the weatherstripping grips, to pass the wire through (a dab of touch-up paint to cover the bare metal, then a little more silicone to hold the wire in place, and protect it from the edges), then ran it behind the dash. If you mount the receiver under the seat, you'd probably want to come down the B pillar. The give you plenty of wire on the antenna, so you could even run it all the way around the door's perimeter, underneath the weatherstripping, then under the sill trim.

Another option some people go with is going through the 3rd brake light (cutting a little notch in the escutcheon for the wire, and sealing it with silicone). I'm not a fan of that, mainly because it's more work to drop the headliner in order to run the wire.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence