Tranny temperature gauge

I've got a 97 Dodge CTD and want to install a trans. temp. gauge. I ordered one from the local auto parts dealer who suggested a Stewart Warner gauge #82344 and a sending unit #280EE-F. The instructions read "cut a hole in the instrument panel". There's no place to do that. So now I'm wondering if I've ordered the wrong gauge. Chrysler told me they don't make them and I'd have to find an after market gauge. What brand of guage to others use and are they electric or mechanical. The Stewart Warner is electric.

Reply to
Dennis

You need a pod to hold the guage. It mounts on the A-Pillar and you paint to match. Looks great. Mine is electric. The sender is installed in an aftermarket Mag-Hytec tranny pan. Others prefer to put the sender in the line.

Reply to
miles

Geno's Garage has mounts that will work with the Stewart Warner gauge. They even sell the paint.

-- Ken

Reply to
Nosey

Gauge panels are pretty easy to make of sheet metal, wood, plastic, fiberglass, etc - pretty much whatever you have lying around in the garage. Use you imagination and put it anywhere you want. You don't need to monitor it all the time - like oil pressure - so it can even be low on the panel or down by the cup holder. As for type, I generally prefer electrics, but only because they are easier to install. The mechanicals have a 270* sweep, and the electrics have a 90* sweep; although AM is now making a limited series of electric gauges with a 270* sweep. Bigger needle sweeps are easier to read at a glance. If it's going to be down near the floor or on the other side of the dash, use a larger 2 5/8" gauge with a red needle - they are very easy to read at a glance. Autometer has been my favorite for many years.

Reply to
.boB