transmission conversion help

i need serious help on a transmission problem. i have a '93 dodge dakota that had a v6 in it. i junked that motor and put in a '74 318 from a dodge dart and mated it with '91 518a transmission from a ram to match the dakota's transfer case. i built the motor up by boring it out once over, ported and polished the heads, new everything inside, quadrojet 750cfm carb, performance manifold and cam. so it has the power.

the problem is the motor does not have a computer anymore. i was told the transmission would not need it but the transmission doesn't down shift automatically or lock up. also it doesn't seem to convert any torque. now the truck doesn't want to stay at idle or drive and makes a winding sound coming from the transmission when trying to drive, witch makes me think the torque converter is broke.

my questions are. is my torque converter blown and if so what stall speed do i need for a new one, does the transmission need a computer or is there a substitute, and whats the deal with the lock up on the converter. how do i get this to work with out a computer? thank you so much if you could help a fellow mopar head.

Reply to
captainstevens

There's some answers here, specifically for making a 4-speed transmission work in a non-computer-controlled environment:

Tom Lawrence

environment:

thanks for the help. this is one of the problems for sure. now for the new question. the converter is blown, will i have to overall the whole trans or will i just have to change the torque converter and flush the system? i put in a secondary external filter, i hope this helped.

Reply to
captainstevens