used Diesel purchase

Gentlemen All:

I am considering the purchase of a 1 or 2 year old 2500 series Ram diesel, probably with the 4 door cab. I would like some feedback about whether or not to shop for the automatic or just have some fun with the 6 speed. What should I look for since this will be my first diesel? I seem to notice the resale value of all diesels drops dramatically from new, is it just me or is there a good reason? Any and all info will be good for me at this point.

Thanks in Advance Mark M.

Reply to
M. Moody

Fun with a 6 speed?? Only if going slow is fun. The six speed is a big heavy transmission. It shifts like a truck, and the CTD has a turbocharger so when you let off the throttle to shift, boost goes away. With an automatic you stomp it and keep it to the floor and the transmission shifts. You don't loose the boost.

Al

04 CTD six speed 4X4.
Reply to
Big Al

ah but for towing the 6 speed is awesome!!! I purposely wanted the 6 speed. and have no regrets.

I would suggest that you look for a stock truck without the power adders.

325/610 is a lot of power and if you haven't driven diesel before you just might be surprised.

on a side note, I've embarrassed a few mustangs with my 6 speed truck and have towed anything that I wanted to without a problem, my truck is a 05

2500 crew cab 8' box CTD. and yes the 6 speed is fun to drive or at least for me *grin*
Reply to
Chris Thompson

We bought a 2001 quad cab long bed last fall. It is an awsome truck! We live at 7,400 feet and drive exclusively between 6,000 and 12,000 feet. This thing has power!

We own mostly SAABs but one (normally aspirated) Jeep Cherokee. Driving the Jeep you really notice the lack of the turbo at this elevation.

Towing 3000 pounds or so with the Dodge, it doesn't even know it is there.

Charles

Reply to
Charles

Hello, I have owned 3 dodge diesels, a 98, 97, and now an 03. i will not own any other truck And I love chevy's. Iboth the 98, and the 97 were 5 speeds. my 03 is an auto. I think my next dodge I will go back to the manual. The auto has not impressed me. and the fuel mileage has been the same in both the auto and manual. 22-24 MPG highway. Good luck

Reply to
notordinary

Ha-ha, like to see you embarrass my 03 Mustang:) My 04 CTD is a towing fool. I love it. Can't really say it's good in traffic or going to impress anyone accelerating. Maybe when it gets older I'll try shifting it hard:) I can shift my 92 NV4500. The 04 is not as limber yet.

I'm going to load up my 24 foot enclosed car trailer with furniture and haul it to OK later this month. This will the heaviest load to date with the 04.

Al

Reply to
Big Al