VA

Just saw that the VA will spend $160 mill to monitor credit for those who's records were lost.

I still haven't received my letter, maybe something went right this month.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Maybe you died in action?

Reply to
MoParMaN

Came too damn close to dying..

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Maybe your letter got stolen too. I got an e-mail from DFAS too.

E-mail text:

This e-mail alerts you to a possibility that your personal information, including name, social security number, and date of birth, may have been included in the recent loss of data by an employee of the Veterans Administration. We want to let you know what happened, and how to protect yourself.

In May, the VA learned that an employee took home electronic data without authorization. The employee's home was burglarized and the data were stolen. Included were personal information for up to 26 million people, including many of the DoD family.

The Department shares information with VA to help ensure quick service for customers of the VA. For example, the Montgomery GI Bill and Servicemens Group Life Insurance are important to DoD, and both are administered by the VA.

The DoD's interest now focuses on informing those in uniform and their families how best to defeat identity theft. Several resources are available.

The Department of Veterans Affairs has set up a special web site and a toll-free telephone number: "

" and 1-800-FED-INFO (1-800-333-4636). Each features up-to-date news and information on the data compromise. The website provides steps on how to check credit reports, how to guard against identity theft and who to call if someone believes fraudulent activity is occurring with his or her personal information. Information relating to the defeat of identify theft also is available at "
".

To date, the VA reports that populations affected by its data loss have NOT experienced any rise in identity theft: however, DoD encourages you to follow the advice available at the foregoing sites.

_______________________________________________ Delivered by Defense Finance and Accounting Service

Reply to
Nosey

Nah, he's MIA

Reply to
azwiley1

I didn't get one either.... and the thought of the VA monitoring my credit is NOT giving me a warm, fuzzy feeling..

Hell, I gave up trying to collect the 2 months pay they owed me after a year of red tape and BS, how bad will they screw up the monitoring and how many laptops with THAT data on it will be lost.. *sigh*

Mac

mac davis

You didn't miss anything by not getting a letter. I received one a couple of weeks ago and there wasn't anything about them monitoring anyone's credit in it. All the letter says is they lost the data, they are sorry and it's up to you to keep an eye on your credit report. In other words, they aren't responsbile, you are.

Reply to
Electrician

Some legislation was passed yesterday.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I hear ya bro. I had one visit to them and it was enough for me.

Roy

Reply to
Roy