Stephen Hull - PAINT GOD!

Decided that my tired old (once) Sankey could do with a bit of a makeover. Ordered (yes, I know) some custom made machine enamel from Stokes in Sheffield - Light Brunswick Green - on the swatch it looked fine, when opened, looked far, far too bright. On Painting Pointers the colour swatch was perfectly matching what I got (dunno if tis due to this monitor being properly calibrated...).

Wondered why... Realised that when I went into Stokes in a bit of a hurry...

... I had my sunglasses on (yes, yes, yes...)

Anyway, poured a couple of L off, mixed in some purple and some black and actually have a reasonable Middle Brunswick Green :-)

Then spent far, far too much time nebbing around the rest of the site

- which I haven't done for some many a month - still absolutely superb and a true credit to author. Thanks Stephen!

Mother

Hi Mother!

Its been a little while since I've been on afl, busy building my Landy, anyway glad to be of service Mother, I just hope my info was correct although it is almost impossible to show true colours on the internet.

I had some Mid Brunswick Green left over from a job which I sent to Canada on a painted place mat so the owner could identify the colour of a Lister engine. I also sent a sample BS-381c colour chart to Canada to help identify a David Brown tractor colour.

I might be persuaded to purchase more colour charts in bulk from a favourable paint manufacturer showing RAL and BS-381c colours but I'd have to sell them, this is the only way I can see to provide absolute accurate colours.

Unfortunately I don't have a range of Land Rover colours which would be far more useful.

I have recently evaluated a new type of coach paint for a paint supplier and I have acquired some reducer to slow the drying process down but I've not yet had a chance to use the reducer but when I have I'll report my finding on my website in due course. I'll have some new s2a photo's soon up upload.

Many thanks for your comments Mother, appreciated,

Regards,

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

On or around Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:36:01 +0100, Stephen Hull enlightened us thusly:

you got anywhere to get a nice dark purple to paint bits of Edward II?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

You've lost me here, I must be having a dim day ;)

Regards,

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

On or around Mon, 19 Jun 2006 22:34:20 +0100, Stephen Hull enlightened us thusly:

Edward II is my series III, which is painted in a fetching shade of dark purple, which the previous owner invented by mixing red and blue. He's Edward 'cos the registration is EWD and II 'cos years ago we had in the family another EWD which was called Edward.

the odd bit was the numbers: the original Edward was EWD226K, and Edward II is EWD266K.

so sometime I've got to try and sort some paint, if only to paint the top tailgate to match.

been contemplating about colour matching on the pooter. One of the things about PCs is monitor brightness and contrast - I've seen monitor setup things which have a set of greyscales, and you adjust the settings 'til you can see all of them, not have the black and nearly-black or the white and nearly-white merging into eachother. doesn't do much about colour cast, although you can specify a colour temperature setting. currently running

7200K here, for example. The monitor has eveything from 4000 to 10000...

I daresay you've already done all this, mind.

Reply to
Austin Shackles
[snip]

I didn't know that, I'm now enlightened ;)

Weird indeed,

Many paint factors now have modern scanning equipment to match colours, they are very accurate and of course have the necessary paint codes.

I've not found the computer helpful in this area, I could get the colour spot-on by tweaking it but the shade would not be the same on another monitor.

I've done a fair bit of colour dabbling,

Regards,

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

In article , Austin Shackles writes

The biggest problem is that monitors are colour addition whereas paint and printing are mostly* colour subtraction. The colourimetry isn't the same, and can't easily be made to match (RGB can't map perfectly to CMYK, and IIRC, paint matching is CMY plus 'spot' pigments usually). You can calibrate most monitors pretty well for general use, but you find out how tricky the addition-subtraction issue is when doing anything intended for print.

I've got Pantone matching as part of the Corel 12 suite and just acquired an aged Pantone swatch book (thank you Freecycle!). Roundtuits permitting, I'll be calibrating my Postscript colour printer, but I'm not expecting to get everything to match - it'll be a compromise.

It's affecting broadcasting in a big way now. There's been a thread running in another group along the lines of 'how the heck are we gonna match cameras when they finally stop making cathode ray tubes?'. They have a point: LCD/plasma etc. generally have very lumpy colour curves and many can't do true blacks, which is why you never see them in shops with greyscales on them! They're very convenient for outside broadcast use as they can be extremely compact, but they're useless for colour matching (there's even considerable batch variation amongst production of single models).

I think Stephen's right - swatches are the only dead-cert way to do it.

Regards,

Simonm.

*some fluorescent and semi-luminous paints do actually emit in certain parts of the spectrum, and thus can't ever be photographed or videoed accurately. Likewise some flowers absorb UV and emit in the visible or deep violet, and are equally hard to photograph.
Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

With the sound department shouting from the other end of the truck "How the heck are we supposed check sync with a several frame delay in the picture monitor?"

Reply to
Dave Liquorice