Van leaks on when idling

My caravan leaks on when it's sitting idling. I was charging the AC ann noticed about 1/2 pint on the ground. It seems to be coming from somewhere near the starter. I guess where the transmission meets the engine. It's not trans fluid. When driving I can't tell if it leaks as bad. When turned off it leaks a few drops. I guess the pressure causes it to leak.

Easy fix? or is it the rear main seal? If so, it will just have to leak. I don't think that's an easy fix.

Shane

Reply to
Shane

The thing to do is clean it up, then find out for sure where the on is leaking from.

A half pint is a lot to leak from a seal, more likely is your rear valve cover gasket or something is leaking.

Dick Cheney

Yup, one half pint of *what* leaked? Water from the A/C? Coolant? Engine oil? transmission fluid (how do you know it is not ATF)? A/C PAG lubricant? The can of beer that was knocked over?

Reply to
PeterD

Or one of your buddies decided to screw with ya and poured a little oil under the it.

A old trick, but very effective.

Reply to
Roy

Or worse, a can of (old) brake fluid... THey know that can't use it (been opened) so "how about a little fun?"

Reply to
PeterD

Don't ya just hate it when your vehicle is leaking "on"? That's worse than when it leaks 710.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

took me a moment, then I remembered the blond joke.......funny stuff

Reply to
Dimbo Spams

..

You guys are a bundle of joy and laughter!

It's oil that is leaking. My bad for not indicating that. Once the engine is about 1 quart low on OIL the leak seems to slow down.

Any REAL help. All for a good joke. I just hate being the butt of it.

No beer No ATF NO Brake Fluid NO Semen No blood etc

Reply to
Shane

Right above the starter on my ranger is the oil filter, possible leaking oil filter gasket, could also be bad oil sensor/sender or valve cover gasket leaking.

Reply to
Fuzz

OIL - 710, it's all the same thing, You just use the latter when the OIL fill cap is upside down.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep