2004 Wrangler Leaks when rains

I am new to Jeep and I have never owned a Jeep before. My wrangler (soft top with half doors) has a small pool of water developing in the floor section of drivers side only. During one heavy rain storm there was a constant driping on my foot as I drove coming from above the accelerator pedal. The passenger side stays dry. I need to bring it back to the dealer to get it fixed.

My real question. What should I expect from them? Is it possible to have a jeep that does not leak? Or should I just rip out the carpeting now?

-jpl-

Reply to
Jean-Paul Lanaux

Mine doesn't leak! (03 TJ rag top)

L8r - Jersey

Reply to
Jersey

It shouldn't leak. Perhaps the driver's side seal isn't fitted properly.

Dave Milne

Reply to
Jerry McG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

That isn't a leak. That is the Daimler-Chrysler freshwater distribution system (patent pending). If you're in the desert with your Jeep you get fresh water from the morning dew.

Reply to
Jay Stuler

Jean-paul, The Wrangler is prone to leaks. I've had two: a 1999 that Daimler reaplced under my state's lemon law (for water leaks and other problems) and a 2002 that replaced it. Both took repeated trips to the dealer to get the leaks fixed.

The 1999 was a hardtop, and the only way the dealer could get it to stop leaking was to glue the top on with silicone (this was after they had damaged teh tub while tryig to fix it). The 2002 is pretty much leak free except when I wash it with a spray hose. The softop/half doors actually seals out water a little better because of the overlaps that cause water to run past places where the others are exopsed.

Possible sources: air intake for a/c-heating system, Windshield seal, body seams between tub and wheelwell in rear fender, windshield frame to body seal. You may have more than one leak!!! Most likely is the windshield if it drips on your foot. If it only does it when you drive, and the water is muddy like road film, then suspect the body seams. If it pools on passenger side when parked, then a/c intake.

Good luck!

Reply to
Russ B

I purchased an '03 TJ in January and noticed the floors wet and figured they must have just cleaned the carpets before we picked it up... almost June now and still finding it damp in spots and the salt build up around the seat belt mech.from the winter.... I notice one spot is dry after rain and driving it becomes wet... not sure where the water is coming from but the dealer more less told me that leaks are not warranty... is this true??

Reply to
Jeff

Reply to
twaldron

build-up around the seat belt/rollbar is probably where the water leaks through the body seam in the rear wheelwell. It will obviously only do this when you drive it...The water can't get to the seam when it sits. Mine (2002) did that. DO NOT LET THE DEALER SEAL THE BOTTOM OF THE ROLL BAR!!!!! If they do that, the water is going to be trapped between the body panels, and it will rust FAST. The leak has to be sealed from the outside.

Reply to
Russ B