What are the chances?

In 2003, my truck failed inspection in England due to "rusty rotors". He showed them to me, they didn't look bad to me but then I've no basis to judge it. I saw some rust color and very light pitting - didn't look terribly bad to me. They said they replaced the rotors - do not know what brand they may have used.

As you long-timers may remember, I was in England for a few years, the truck was subjected to roads that were wet and salted nearly every night for most of the winter. Then I went into the desert, little rain and high heat. I've been back in Northern VA for a year now, it's been a bit wet around, and last summer was pretty humid and warm.

Here it is, 2009, and I took my truck in to my trusty mechanic because of brake issues - emergency brake locking up when it's wet, a bit of a rough and maybe rhythmic feel as I brake, and twice now, a double clunk as I am slowing to a stop.

I'm told the rotors are really badly rusted. *This* mechanic I trust (though I will look at the rotors once the truck is done). What are the chances that they never actually replaced the rotors back in 2003?

My brake pads finally wore out though. I've got nearly 70,000 miles on the truck now over 9 years, so I'd say that's not half bad :)

jmc

Reply to
jmc

What causes rotor rust more than anything else is standing without use in a damp environment. If the truck stands even for 2 days, expect rust. Sure it will soon wear off, but if the truck stands for two weeks or longer, it will not wear off. It glasses over. This isn't a problem in a dry warm place, but in Europe, the vehicle must be garaged when standing or you grease the rotors and then clean them before use. Yes, I believe the rotors were changed in 2003. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Suddenly, without warning, Steve Lusardi exclaimed (7/13/2009 5:14 PM):

I had to laugh at that - you remember I had my rotors changed? I probably did post asking about it, since it was such a surprise, truck wasn't even three at the time. And I've since had reason to doubt the honesty of that mechanic, but that's in the past.

I do trust my current shop (how cool is that?), and had them show me the rotor. It was in much worse shape than the 2003 damage. The edges were crumbled and even I could tell the pitting and damage were too deep for them simply to be turned. The also told me the brake fluid was really dirty (I'm not sure it's *ever* been replaced, though I always ask for shops to have a look). Other than that and dirty crap on the rear drums, they didn't find anything wrong (I though there might be a sticky caliper).

And, oh, the difference it made! Brakes feel noticeably better this afternoon. Well, my whole day was shot because my truck was in the shop for 7 hours instead of 2, and my bill was almost $700 (new brakes and pads, cleaning the drums, oil change, tire rotation, state inspection and something else I forget), but at least I don't have to worry about my brakes failing at the worse possible moment now. I live in the 2nd worse traffic area in the US (not to mention large numbers of suicidal deer), good brakes are pretty important here :)

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Probably considerably lower than the likeyhood that they (the new ones) simply rusted same as the old ones. One reason that rotors rust is when vehicles sit and are not used daily.

If it is not half bad, then is it only half good? Personally, (I'm really easy on brakes) I'd consider that 3/4 good, so only a quarter bad!

Reply to
PeterD