Advice on buying an 88 Camry, plse

I am thinking about buying a 4-cyl 1988 Camry DLX wagon with 197K miles. THe elderly widow lady has tried to sell it once before for $1000, but it didn't sell. Its up for bids again, I can probably buy it for $500 to $600. I think she just wants to get rid of it. I test-drove it---but not far, as the alternator is dead, and the battery was already down to 12 volts and dropping. It needs a new alternator. That will cost about $100 to replace myself. The AC does not work, you get blower only. I do not hear any click like the clutch is momentarily trying to engage. Seems like I could have heard the clutch if it had just lost its charge. If it is just a problem with the control ciricuit not getting power to the clutch, then I could fix it myself easily. ANything other than that would have to be done by a mechanic. It doesn't have any conversion sticker on it, so I assume it still had the old refrigerant---so will need to have conversion to new refrig. done. The body looks very good, no rust, and the interior is very clean, almost perfect-- except for torn spot on the drivers' seat-back. The oil looks like honey. trannny fine. The radiator is new. It has one bad tire on rear, I had to fill up and install the full-size spare (matching the other tires) to drive it. There is no smoke from the tail pipe.

Does this sound like a car to grab up? Assuming it has had regular oil changes, how many more miles might I get out of the engine?

If the compressor is shot, how much should I figure on spending to get the AC fixed up/converted? If it is OK, how much?

Reply to
geronimo

How do you know its the alternator, did you test the alternator. for 500 its ok, but a car that old probably has thousands in maintenance due. Who knows how long it will last, it could last a day or years. A compression test is a good idea, The ignition coil on that model fail from getting oil on them, its under the distributor, clean it with alcohol first. If the radiator is new was it overheated ruining the head gasket? are hoses new. You say oil is clean, was old oil contaminated with coolant from a blown or leaking head gasket? Does coolant level drop. Does the cooling system hold pressure? Test it. You wont know much till you test and drive it 500 miles You could have major repairs ahead or just alot of overdue maintennce. I would test a few things, coolant system holding pressure, engine compression, electrical system, and try to drive it a day and see if engine oil turns milky from water and if cooling system drops. When was the timing belt replaced? You may only have alot of overdue maintenance but talking to her mechanic would help alot since sellers wont tell you all the bad.

Reply to
m Ransley

You can generally resuscitate the alternator (if original Denso) by simply replacing the brushes. Not even necessary to remove the alternator from the car. Try asking the dealer for part number 27370-35060, but double check that fits your year - less than $20. Once the alternator is working, that may solve the AC clutch problem as it is electrically actuated. Key thing on a used car is the care bestowed upon it by the prior owner. If she's cared for it well, then sounds like a good buy to me. Personally wouldn't care for the station wagon, but seems that people love them. You still have general maintenance items on any FWD Toyota, like axle boots, and fluids, brakes, plugs and wires, etc. How many more miles depends on existing condition. I have a 1977 4 cylinder Toyota long bed truck where the odometer flips over at 100,000 miles and I prefer not to count how many times that has happened - but has to be at least three. Engine is still strong. Best gauge to engine wear would be if you could determine the oil usage, ie., how much needs to be added between oil changes, or having a compression test done to gauge condition of rings and cylinders. How quickly the oil light goes out when starting gives perhaps some kind of indication of bearing condition. Also carefully examine the color, level and odor of the exiting oil. If the power steering, brake, transmission fluid are dark, plan on changing all of them along with the differential, but basically you're looking at the overall soundness of the car and it doesn't seem like it's been neglected or abused. Can't go too far wrong for $500. That's what I paid for that truck many years ago, and I'm still driving it.

Reply to
Daniel

Several months ago I sold an '87 Camry with 135K miles for $1800, and had people knocking down my door to buy it.

My theory is: mechanicals are easily fixed (although not always cheaply). In a car this age, the most important thing is the body and interior condition.

For $600, it sounds like a good deal to me, especially if you are mechanically inclined enough to do your own repairs.

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen