Fiat Punto rear wiper source

Hi all, I`m after a rear wiper for a Fiat Punto, R reg. Anyone know of a source in the UK that might be cheaper than going direct to the dealer?

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

in article snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Simon Finnigan at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 22/10/2006 17:46:

Likewise ... You first, though, Simon :)

Again ... TIA.

Paul

1999 Fiat Punto Sporting 16V (Mk1) ... and some SAABs :)
Paul Halliday

Blade or motor? Most Fiat wiper motors have phosphor bronze (self parking) sprung contacts working on slip rings moulded into the main plastic gear. They tend to lose contact and the motor (assuming it's not the fuse) stops, sometimes tailgate contacts are the problem. Fairly easy to fix, or try your local breakers yard.

Reply to
ato_zee

Just the blade. Been pointed in the direction of (funnily enough)

which have everything you could ever need :-) Most impressed with it, so going to get some new blades for my car now too :-)

Thanks all!

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Easy to find the ones you want, and prices are sensible. Got it from another group I posted the question in :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

in article snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Simon Finnigan at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 22/10/2006 22:17:

Ah! Glad you got bit sorted ... It's a motor I'm after.

Reply to
Paul Halliday

in article snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net, ato snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com at ato snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 22/10/2006 20:54:

I can hear the relay ticking and I can measure voltage at the motor. It's just the motor will not move.

Given the price of a new motor from FIAT, it's almost as cheap to _buy_ a whole car. I've checked around our local breakers, but not found anything yet. Are there other FIATs that could provide a motor? Say, Tipo or Marea?

Reply to
Paul Halliday

Motors from other models may have a different compound linkage and wiper arc. Try E&Mart under Fiat. Two main problems with motor assys. Mild steel wiper shaft, in diecast tube, once water gets past the O-ring seal it corrodes up solid. Takes ages, and major dismantling, to free it up again. (and then to remember how the compound linkage goes back together, plus you need a box of assorted O-rings). Silicone grease seems best for a cleaned up wiper shaft. Slip ring contacts lost their tension, you can usually take the cover plate off, and see the fingers and slip rings. Motor can be taken off with a couple of screws, don't go any further by trying to dismantle the motor, once the carbon brushes spring out of the brush boxes you are in trouble, but you can (if it needs it) lubricate the front worm gear end bearing, use a synthetic oil if available.. Usually the slip ring finger contact block comes off with a couple of bolts, you may only have to clean the slip rings with cotton buds, and bits of kitchen roll held in surgical seizers. Re-lubricate the slip rings (Vaseline is good) gently re-tension the fingers, and re-assemble. Don't overtension the fingers or they will wear rapidly. If the wipers dead you have nothing to lose, you can always re-asemble, and put the dead motor back, while you source a replacement. It's fairly rare for the windings to burn out even with a stalled wiping action, the motors are faily robust, the may get hot and smell, but once fixed usually work as good as (rip-off priced) new.

Reply to
ato_zee

in article snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net, ato snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com at ato snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 23/10/2006 12:11:

Thank you very much for the information ... I feel quite confident to investigate further.

Cheers! Paul

Reply to
Paul Halliday

Try

Excellent service and a fair price.

Reply to
Peat

in article L52%g.36922$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe7-gui.ntli.net, Peat at snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com wrote on 23/10/2006 12:56:

Thanks for that link ... I'm afraid we didn't shop around for a timing belt kit we've just had done, which is a lot cheaper from these people. Yoink! Bookmarked :)

Paul

Reply to
Paul Halliday