Rear Wiper Motor Adjustment?

Hello. I just had the rear wiper motor replaced in my '98 Explorer EB AWD, however, now the wiper only covers 60 percent of the rear window (only to between 10:00 and 11:00 to the left)? Should the dealer be able to adjust this? The amount of coverage that is?

Thanks,

Steven

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

Yes. Didn't you have the service rep demonstrate the fix before you took the truck? Or has the movement changed over time?

Reply to
Bill Funk

I agree with Bill.... even though I'm flate rate, I test every repair to make sure I don't have a charge-back (don't ask... it ain't pretty). Return to the dealer immediately and demand that it be rectified.

It's a tough call to say what will happen..... there may be an extra charge if the original diagnose and estimate wasn't inclusive enough, but there is certainly the expectation that the repair would have the wiper working "as new" after spending 'X' dollars on the repair. Having said that, the estimate is, indeed, just an estimate, though it in the techs best interest (where I live) to include possibilities into the quote.

Naturally, I'm asuming you might live in an area that might follow the Canadian model and actually care about the qualifications of their techs. I've had a couple of "go-rounds" with c-techs that thought they were actually capable....

Please note that 'c-tech' is, apparently, a US term for someone with a hammer and a half inch wrench and knows where the hood release is. I don't know who said that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing....... but he/she is as right as rain.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thank you for the replies Bill and Jim. The wiper motor was replaced under warranty and I picked up the vehicle from the cashier after service hours. This is no excuse, as I'm sure Ford will be billed a pretty penny for the repair(s) that were complete. I will contact my service representative this morning and see what he has too say :o)

Thanks again,

Steven

Jim Warman wrote:

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

Didn't Ford change the design of the motor so that the sweep angle was less? I seem to remember that this was the case with the Expedition. I would think if the wiper still park correctly, there is not much adjusting to be done.

Ed

Jim Warman wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

Actually, it's a nine-stinks wrench here. :-)

I was (and still am) very proud that my MC repair shop had a less than

1% come-back rate for problems with the job done. We made very sure the customer was happy when he took his bike or car (we worked on Honda cars, too; the local shops said they were using motorcycle engines, so what the heck...).
Reply to
Bill Funk