Help!

I have a 2000 Fiat Marea 1.6 Auto. As I got in in to come home from holiday today it had a totally flat battery. No probelm I thought - I will just get a jump start. When I did it started but then started revving up like I was pushing the accelerator up and down. It eventually settled down at about

2500 revs. I managed to get home but whenever I got above 60mph it started 'chugging' and obvioulsly when in slow moving traffic was pulling against the brake as it stayed at 2500 revs. Also both the red brake pad and orange ABS waring lights were on. Also occasionally the gearbox oil temperature light flickered. Also when I got stuck in traffic for a few minutes the engine temperature went up into the red. Once I got moving it came down again so I can only assume that the fan did not come on as it should do.The brakes did feel a bit rough when braking but they have for some time. They don't sound like 'metal on metal'. When I got home I turned the engine of and there was a clicking coming from the steering column when I took the key out which lasted for a few seconds. The engine then agiain would not turn at all when I tried to start. With so many symptons I can only think it could be the engine management system. Has anyone any ideas. I was going to call out a mobile mechanic as I can't get it started but if it is the EMS is it the sort of thing one could deal with or is it a Fiat Dealership job. TIA for any advice.

Steve

Reply to
SC

May not be the answer but I'd check the battery first, do the lights work for more than a couple of minutes with the engine off (you may have to follow some procedure or move the ign key to try this - as Fiat lights are linked to ignition)? Does it accept charge and when you get it jump started does the alternator light go off? ECU's can get unhappy with a totally knackered battery.

Reply to
ato_zee