Lot of problems with Tempra 1.9 TD

I Recently buy a Tempra 1.9 TD but now the problems appeard. The battery light sometimes turns on and suddenly turns off again. The resistance light when I go 120 +/- starts to blink . The windshilds sometimes fail, it seems like a rele problem. I don't know . Can somewone help me with this.

Reply to
Giancarlo

Hi Giancarlo

I'm rewriting your request so it is more clear to others. Please post back if I've interpreted you incorrectly

Tempra 1.9TD Problems

1) Battery light sometimes turns on and suddenly off again

This sounds like a connection fault or the alternator brushes are worn. The alternator has two wires (main charge and sense wire) going into it. The main charge wire is bolt connected. The sense wire is the thin 'spade' connected wire. These often get dirty or corroded and will cause your sort of problem. If this connection is OK then it could be the brushes worn.

2) Resistance Light ( injector heater light?) blinks when travelling over 120 km/h

3) Windshield (I presume wipers as the Tempra never had a heated windscreen) wipers sometime fail. Possible relay problem.

Set the wipers to intermittant. You should be able to locate by click sound and feel (finger on relays) the relay that drives the motor. Locate it and remember how to quickly locate it agian. Next time the wipers fail see if the realy is still operating. The wiper motor has an internal switch mechanism for parking the wipers. If these contacts or operating levers are dirty/or faulty then the wiper will not correctly function.

Nick /////

Reply to
Nick /////

The wipers in most Fiats have sliprings on the big gear that is driven by a worm gear on the motor shaft. The gearbox lubricant seems to be black molydenum grease, the sliding contacts have to make electrical contact for it to work, but the sliding action seems to filter out the molybdenum (disulphide) so it builds up and finally lifts the contact off the slip ring. Result no wipers, but it generally starts working again, for a short while, after the car has been parked overnight. I clean the sliprings and re-lubricate with petrolium jelly or plain lithium grease. This seems to cure the problem. With the wiper gearbox exposed you can usefully

-SLIGHTLY- increse the wiping contact pressure, bending the blade slightly is better than trying to increse the sharp creased bend, less chance of breaking the blades. Obviously too much pressure greater wear. Problem seems to occur after 2-3 years, but obviously depends on mileage and climate.

Reply to
ato_zee