More servicing questions, Fiat Doblo 1.9 JTD & Punto 1.9D (+pics)

Sorry a about a new thread, but Simon, Chris and Moray were so good at expaining in my other post. I thought I just might be able to understand enough about this engine ( and our 1.9 D Punto) to have the option of doing most of the servicing, if I ask for a little more advice.

Advice needed, 1)Tappets, Are they shimmed with a form of adjustment other than needing special tools. With shimmed Diesel tappets in the past (clubman D) I have never even checked them and still OK at 130,000 miles. Do they NEED adjusting, or is it overkill in the Fiat service sheets. Now done 29,000 and serviced by Dealer so assume they have had that initial "bed down" check. Safe to ignore them??

2) Alternator drive belt, Is this self adjusting for tension? and does it usually last up to the cambelt change interval?

Photo`s refer to rest of questions. Link

Photo 1... Battery, is this sealed or does it need top up? Any fancy indicators for this or do I pry the top off , as in days gone by?

Photo 2... shows air filter, ( i assume:)Is it accessed from above? Is it the 3 centre bolts that undo? If so is there a special tool to get that hose type clip off the hard plastic intake tubing?

Photo4.. The wider Jubilee clip is the new bottom hose clip following coolant change. The black hard plastic "elbow" that connects to the white rad pipe moved, rotated a little when pulling the rad hose off. Is this a hard plastic to hard plastic fitting with an O ring? Its not leaking but I cannot get near to it to check.

Photos 6/7/9 Are of what looks like air bleed valves? Running along the front of the engine. No sign that they have been opened before. I think all the air is out of the system as the heaters working and the level in the Header tank dropped on the test run ater changing the coolant. Should I remove them to bleed ?

Are there any known issues with the 2002 Doblo JTD and PuntoD 1.9 that It would be helpful to know of?

(I once had a Uno 1.7 D and only found out when it was too late that main dealer servicing involved greasing the lots of little joints on the gearchange rods at the back of the engine, that info was no where else, not even in the Fiat service handbook).

Anything like this, thats not generally known?

Thank you very much to anyone who spends time helping me to learn about these engines.

Reply to
Mikail

Sorry, wrong link.

Mikail

It's mostlikely to be shims, in which case, it's a right pain to adjust. If you want, you can check the clearances, but provided they're within a few thou off spec, I wouldn't worry about them.

Most off the multi-v belts last a long time. Provided it's not squeeling, it should last.

The top will come off. But provided the vehicle is charging fine (ie. not overcharging), and the battery is in good condition, it shouldn't need topped up.

Some italian vehicles have the air filter acces from below. But if not, then a pair off side cutters should be sufficent to get the clip off (squeeze the two parts together, and twist them to unhook it)

From the picture it looks like it'll be held in with an o-ring (yet another italian feature)

Are you sure that big alloy pipe is a water pipe? Looks more like an inlet pipe to me. But provided the car isn't overheating, I wouldn't bother opening the bleed screws.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Thanks Moray, The alloy pipe is best seen in this pic

The other pic is misleading making it look bigger than it is. Its fastened to the engine and the rubber hose attached to it runs to the coolant header tank.

I will leave the bleed screws as you suggest, Again, Many thanks.

Reply to
Mikail