Punto Engine Mounting Question

I have a question relating to a 1998 Punto 60SX (8valve engine).

I think that one or more of the engine mountings may either be loose or faulty. When pulling away from rest, especially with a cold engine, there is a lot of "shudder", and I'm sure it's not the clutch, which was replaces a year ago. It is also sometimespossible to "sense" the engine moving when taking up the drive after changing gear, if you can understand what I mean.

The right hand mounting seems to have a problem, if I lever a screwdriver under the metal disc which sits under the large bolt, the engine can be moved vertically about one cm, which strikes me as excessive.

Is this a common problem?

My Haynes manual is poor, no pictures of the mountings. Is it feasible that the large nut and bolt (takes a 16mm socket) can work loose, I have tried to tighten it, and succeeded in tightening it a fraction, but not enough to lessen the movement.

Or is it more likely that the mounting is shot?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rob

Reply to
Rob