Punto squeak at startup?

Hi, I have a 96? punto diesel 1.7...now when I start it up, for the first few minutes I have a squeaking noise!...once the car gets warm it does away. Now I?m assuming its the cam belt? Or could it be something else.

Also how hard is it to change the cam belt on a punto, I mean could I do it in an afternoon...I know on some models its a big job and you need special tools :-/

Thanks for any help on this,

Ben

Reply to
Ben_3D

Squeeking noise is rather vague. Could bet the cam belt or an auxialatry belt or even something else.

With regards to changing a cam belt on a diesel engine I have never done this. However in principal is is the same as for a petrol engine.

The main problems to tackle are:

1) Setting the engine up in the correct set position 2) Removing the cam belt cover 3) Removing the crank shaft end pulley 4) Resetting the correct set position as in step 1), unless you have a flywheel locking tool 5) Marking up all toothed pulley positions. (camshaft, auxialry shafts etc.) 6) Releasing the tensioner 7) Removing the old belt maintaining 5) positions 8) Putting new belt on maintaining 5) 9) Engaging the tensioner and setting the tension 10) Hand cycling the engine (bad news on a diesel as you can't remove the spark plugs to release compression effects) 11) Checking tension and alignment marks - tension can initially be checked by grabbibng the belt, midway on the long camshaft to crank section, between the thumb and forefinger and twisting the through 90 degrees. AS you approach the 90 degree angle resistance and pressure/mild discomfort on the fingers should be apparent. If you get to 90 degrees very easily it is the slack. Can't get to 90 degrees it is too tight. 12) Replace crank shaft pulley and any auxilary belts 13) Start engine (with fingers crossed) and let it idle 14) Check for belt whip looseness etc. After an initial warm up period one can 'blip' the throttle. Any excess slack will be noticeable by large deviation in the long down belt run where you twisted it thought 90 degrees. 15) Stop engine and check step 11) again. 16) Replace cam belt cover.

With regards to tools:

1) flywheel lock is desireable not essential, possible gated by 2) 2) crank shaft pulley wheels are secured either by one big NUT or 5 smaller bolts (often allen key headed). If the single large nut is used removing this can prove interesting if you don't have a flywheel lock. Generally locking the engine via the gearbox, passenger assistance on the brakes or even a screw driver blade jammed between the teeth of the starter ring on the flywheel is enough engine locking to allow removal of the big nut. A windy (air gun) gun will often whip the nut off without any engine locking. 3) tensioning the belt is either manual rotation of the tensioner pulley or the pulley is sprung loaded. Note!!! if sprung loaded then initally manually rotate the engine smoothely with the new belt fitted BEFORE locking off the tensioner. Doing this will allow the belt to dynamically settle. Bit like settling/adjusting the tie string on a pair of shorts. If manual then inspect the tensioner for signes of either a cam, lever/flange or two small holes in the central boss of the pulley either side of the central locking bolt. If you have the two holes then a couple of suitable bolts or rods inserted into the holes with a screw driver shaft used between the bolt shafts to twist and tension is all that is require.

Can it be done in and afternoon. Yes BUT for the first time I would allow a full day, AFTER having first checked out the lay of the land with respect to what you will actually have under the cam belt cover and on the end of the crank shaft.

Reply to
Nick /////

Try tightening the fanbelt ?

It's under more load for the 1st few mins (after just starting) and probably damp so slips more.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

This condition would be in most cases be identified by a Squeeling sound. Hence my "Squeeking noise is rather vague" response.

Reply to
Nick /////

I suppose 'shrieking' might cover it !? ;-) Graham

Squeek like a mouse, Squeel like a stuck pig, or Shriek like the wife !!

Reply to
Graham

Na rijp beraad schreef Graham :

I guess that covers it :-)

Reply to
Draak

have a look at the belt for the generator. Most likely it needs replacing or tightening.

Heiner

Reply to
Heiner Hass