Re: seicento gear change

"Philip Thompson" wrote in news:3f4f1ec6$0$201$ snipped-for-privacy@lovejoy.zen.co.uk:

Hello > My daughter has a ceicento sporting W reg 35K miles. > Getting into fifth gear has become a problem. > You have to lift the reverse gear ring on the gearstick so that you > can get across into fifth. > I assume that the cables have gone out of adjustment so question is > what is the procedure for gear cable adjustment. > > Thanks for any help > Regards > Philip > > >

Hmmm.. Sounds more like the problem is with the gearstick. My Seicento Sporting is older, but if you undo the velcro holding the fake leather gearstick gaitor you can just lift it up and it pops out of the central trim. This will allow you to see if something is catching. This is all from memory so could be wrong, but as far as I recall all the "lifting bit" on the gearleaver does is allow the lever to move beyond a lip that prevents you accidentally selecting reverse when you shouldn't.

It's difficult to explain via a newsgroup, but all I'm trying to say is that I think it's going to be a fairly simple problem related to the gearlever rather than anything complicated!

Hope that makes some sense?!!

Pete

Reply to
Pete Taylor

Thanks for that Pete.... Had a look at the gearstick stuff and it seems ok The plastic stopper which is lifted by the reverse ring is not damaged in any way. Lifting it is allowing the stick to move a little further to the right and hence fifth gear can be found. At a guess it looks like the cable which senses left and right stick movement is probably out of adjustment. I might mark where the adjuster nuts are and try a tweak...

Regards Philip

Reply to
Philip Thompson

"Philip Thompson" wrote in news:3f4f9919$0$199$ snipped-for-privacy@lovejoy.zen.co.uk:

Ahhhh... I see what you mean now! Well, it sounds like you're on the case. I'm sure a bit of (gentle!) tweaking will solve it for you. I wish you luck!

Pete

Reply to
Pete Taylor

If you can give me the chassis number i will see if your vehicle comes in the chassis range for the gear change campaign

Reply to
firestarter

Will do when daughter turns up next..... What is the "gear change campaign" about?

Reply to
Philip Thompson

its to do with the gear change cables problems with the car going into gear or the cables breaking

Reply to
firestarter