Peugeot 306 Gear Linkage

Hi,

I've just bought a 1993 306 1.6 XT to replace my 1994 306 1.9D which was written off.

The gear linkage on the new car has died on me this morning. Had RAC out who fitted a new pin to the linkage but advised me to get a new linkage ASAP. Apparantly the rubber seal is also corroded. Gear change is very sloppy and the linkage linkage bangs on something every time I select reverse or fifth.

Does anybody know if I could put the linkage from my old 1.9D into a

1.6 petrol of similar era.

Is it unadvisable to drive the car at all now? Managed to get me 10 miles home with no problem. Would a new pin be likely to fail immediately?

Thanks for your help

Tom

Reply to
Tom

AFAIK The weak point on Peugeot gear linkages is the plastic bushes in the balljoints, there are quite a few of them.

The 1.9D is based on the XU series of engines, whereas I think the 1.6 petrol is a TU. TUs have the exhaust coming out the front of the engine and routed under it, on XUs the exhaust exits out the back of the engine, that's 1 way of telling.

I'm not sure if XUs and TUs use the same gearbox, but even if they don't there's a chance that the gear linkage is the same part. Try phoning the parts department of a Peugeot dealer and asking if they're the same.

If the gearchange is all floppy, something is worn and likely to fail again soon. I wouldn't rely on it getting you to a job interview on time and be prepared to call the breakdown again if you do decide to keep driving. (c:

I'm not sure what the banging will be, perhaps the end of the gearstick is hitting the exhaust, get someone to wiggle the gearstick while you have a look at the linkage under the bonnet behind the engine, and under the car in the middle, as the gearstick just goes through a hole in the floorpan, attaches to the gear linkage and heads forwards towards the back of the engine. You should be able to see what it's hitting.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

But bear in mind that if they have carried out a temporary repair, and advised that a proper repair is needed, they may not help.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan