Replacement ECU for Punto 75SX question

Hi

I have a faulty ECU and I'm considering buying one on eBay. The cheaper ones appear to be straight out of a vehicle. Can they be connected without something being done to clear out the old settings from the previous car?

My current ECU is an IAW 8F.5T does anyone know if this the correct ECU for a 1996 N Reg Fiat Punto 75SX?

thanks in advance

Rick

Reply to
Baldrick

Due to the fact that there's no battery inside an ECU the settings are cleared after a few minutes. Don't know if that ECU is the right one. Just find one with the exact type as your current ECU or the engine won't start.

regards,

Sjoerd

Reply to
Sjoerd Korfage

Another thing to check is if your Punto has the Fiat Code Immobiliser system. If it has then problems can occur as ECU from one car cannot be transferred to another vehicle. The ECU and Key Control Unit exchange and lock to each other. You would require dealer intervention in these cases. Check with a Fiat dealer before spending money on a second hand ECU. You could be buying a piece of worthless junk.

Nick /////

Reply to
Nick /////

Not entirely true.. The key system can be disabled. (and not only by dealer). I checked the prices voor my ECU. Disabling 'was not possible' according to FIAT, but some bloke here in the Netherlands had the correct tools and could do it for 100 euros (yeah.. that's expensive, but nothing compared to a the price of a new car).

Sjoerd

Reply to
Sjoerd Korfage