84 FBird: ? on bolt pattern and solution for bent rim(s)

First just thought I'd share an experience with others so that some may benefit from this possible solution...

We have an (almost) 1 owner very original 84 Firebird, 2.8V6, F41 suspension. For over a decade balancing a few of the rims has been problematic sometimes yielding wildly out of balance results that might be resolved in a few tries. Or not. These are the factory original steel rims, 16 slot 'Rally' wheels, 14X7 (P205/70R14s). The center cutout is NOT round - it has 'tabs' in it that the tire balancing machine cinches up to. We've been thinking it's a bent rim however what has apparently been bent on a few of the wheels are those 'tabs' which of course may (depending on how they put the wheel on the machine) causes the darn think to be off center. The solution is to be wary of the tabs and ensure they are at least relatively straight. The ultimate solution might be to ensure they are balanced on a machine that bolts the wheel on rather than clamping it on w/ one of those cone shaped things. Turns out to be a an easily overlooked problem for a problem that has plagued us for a couple sets of tires now.

Question: What is the BOLT PATTERN and OFFSET for 1984 14X7 Pontiac rally wheels (P205/70R14)?

Reply to
LoadHawg

from this possible solution...

For over a decade balancing a few of the

might be resolved in a few tries. Or

(P205/70R14s). The center cutout is NOT

We've been thinking it's a bent rim however

course may (depending on how they put the

to be wary of the tabs and ensure they are

balanced on a machine that bolts the

out to be a an easily overlooked problem

wheels (P205/70R14)?

The bolt pattern is 5 hole 4.75". The offset for the 16" wheels is

16mm or a total of about 4.5" total back space. Call a tire shop to get the correct numbers for the steel wheels because the smaller wheel will probably have less offset due to suspension components.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

Reply to
LoadHawg