96 Trans Am oil leak

I know this is a subject that has probably been covered to death here but here goes...

About 6 months ago, I bought a 96 T/A convertible with just under 82k on it. At 81k and about a month prior to me purchasing the vehicle, the owner had the intake manifold gasket and the crossover pipe replaced because of an oil leak. I have put about 3k on the vehicle and never had any issues with it. Never noticed any leaks, smell, nothing....Then, in August, I had the oil changed and drove it about 500 miles before putting it away for the winter in September. Last week I moved the car out of my garage for the first time and found an oil puddle about the size of a grapefruit underneath it. Looking under the car, all I can see is a drip off oil on the bottom of the oil pan.

Am I looking at a new intake gasket after only 3000 miles?

Be gentle...

Wes

Reply to
Wes

My 1995 didn't leak for three years since I purchased it. Only change oil twice a year and after the last on it started to leak the same was yours. In talking with folks in the know, its the intake manifold gasket. The trick it seems is to use a good grade of sealent, give it

20 minutes to set up BEFORE bolting it back on. Then let it sit 24 hours to harden before running. Mayb the basket was not installed or no sealent was used. Post back when you get this solved.

I don't have the cash to repair it this year, so I just top off the oil each week and keep a drip pan under it.

Reply to
brxsep

Before you pull your intake off make sure that that is were it is leaking from. If it is leaking from there get a felpro gasket. When your installing the intake back on the motor in the corners were the head and the block and the intake meet put a good blob of silicone in there front and rear. GM small blocks are good for leaking in the corners of the intake. T/A and z28 aren't that easy to work on because of how far in under the dash they are

-- ls1transam

View this thread:

Send from

ls1transam