Full 3rd gen Swap

Going to be doing a FULL engine/tranny/rearend/suspension, etc swap between my 85s.... one question.. would SFCs be enough on the Camaro to strengthen the body enough that I wouldn't have to worry about the body turning into a pretzel? The 350(bored .30 over) and 5 speed are coming from the hardtop and going into the t-top... and the 'bird will then be sold off with the v6 stuff. What do you guys think?

-Geno

1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L auto t-top 1985 Brown Firebird 5.7L (360) 5-speed hardtop 1988 Blue Formula 5.0L auto t-top 2002 Black Trans Am LS1 auto T-top
Reply to
KITTvsKARR

going to swap a 350 into my IROC with a stock 305, and everyone I talked to told me to just get SFC's to strengthen the structural integrity. Aparently, Kenny Brown performance makes some of the best for your car. Good luck.

The Freak

Reply to
FBodyFreak

You do not need sub frame connectors. contrary to some peoples beliefs, even a 454 will not twist a 3rd gen in to a pretzel. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Well that's new to, well, pretty much everyone... Even my '90 GTA with a stock 305 TPI saw HUGE benefits from a set of MAC sub fame connectors. The car is far stiffer, and many of the creaks and groans are gone. Thirdgens will twist, especially t-top cars. Cracks in the sail panels are not unheard of.

Reply to
SBlackfoot

My friend actually has I think a 1990 350 Formula hard top, and he wished he had put SFC's on it because after he had his car for a couple months, his roof was covered with stress cracks.

The Freak

Reply to
FBodyFreak

largest stress crack I have even seen in a F-car is 3/8's of a inch long. That was in a Big Blocked drag car running Slicks, no cage, no sub frame connectors, 12.09 in the 1/4.

So if your pals is all cracked up, he should junk it, cause it's from a wreck and not a stress crack from a 350. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

I have drove V8 third gens for years with out sub frame connectors. Basically unless you want to stiffen up the ride, or are making a pure race car you do not need them. You can use them, but they are not required. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Required on a bone stock, pristine body car? No, not required. A good idea, but not required by any means. Throw that 454 in one and that f-body has just become disposeable if you can get it to hook up at all. Ever open the door and slowly drive over a speedbump? Ever hear the creaking and groaning when jacking up only one corner?

To be fair I do not recall hearing of any stress cracks on hardtop cars offhand, but on t-top cars with modded powerplants? Oh yeah. The number one recommended upgrade is always SFCs. Well, that and a good alarm. ;)

Reply to
SBlackfoot

I am just worried about the whole 350/t-top/5-speeed combo.... plus the Camaro had been ditched once that DID twist the body enough to shatter the t-tops... so I think the 200 buckss or so would be a good investment. But thanks for all the replies!

-Geno

85 Blue Camaro 2.8L a4 Ttop 85 Brown Firebird 5.7L m5 88 Blue Formula 5.0L a4 Ttop 02 Black T/A WS6 5.7L LS1 a4 Ttop ASC#5986 Feb 15 02 - Lid & K&N so far, but getting exhaust, headers, stall, SFCs and cam VERY soon...
Reply to
KITTvsKARR