slow heating

i have a 98 firebird and it takes around 5 to 10 minutes after i start the car for the heater to start doing what its supposed to do - "keep me from freezing to death"! please help me with this problem. tell me what i need to get done to rectify this. do i need to change the coolant? do i need to get it flushed? all the other fluids in the car have been taken care of recently. so please tell me what the problem could be and help me rectify this...

Reply to
Stinger

What is the air temp? 5 TO 10 minutes is not all that bad if it's cold outside (I mean, yeah it's cold, but it takes a little time to build up some heat). It's usually at least about 5 minutes before heat comes out of my heater in the morning, and it's not all that cold here in CA.

Reply to
Cy Welch

Hey Cy,

What part of Sacramento are you in? I live up in Auburn myself, but my office is in south Sac. Ever go out to Sac Raceway?

Gary

Reply to
Gary - KQ6RT

I live a couple of blocks from American River College and work in North Natomas. I have not been to sac raceway yet, but plan to as soon as I get my baby back on the road (made the mistake of letting my daughter drive it). First stage is get it back road worthy stock, then go down and get a baseline and start working on it.

Reply to
Cy Welch

Oh no! What happened? How long will it take to get it back?

-Geno

1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L auto w/T-tops (aka "Transmaro") 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L auto w/T-tops 1985 Brown Firebird 5.7L (360) 5-speed NO T-tops
Reply to
KITTvsKARR

Just beaten up, brakes messed up, transmission leaking, interior trashed and stuff like that. The cat has reached the end of it's life, so it just needs a bunch of maint type stuff done and that to get it back on the road. I plan on having it back on the road for next summer.

Reply to
Cy Welch

Well.. good luck with that. I would love to be able to get my Formula down to NC by the end of Summer to being the VERY long and VVEEERRYYYY expensive task of restoring it. But need a job first. :)

-Geno

1985 Blue Camaro 2.8L auto w/T-tops (aka "Transmaro") 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L auto w/T-tops 1985 Brown Firebird 5.7L (360) 5-speed NO T-tops
Reply to
KITTvsKARR

The problem is that once you have the job, then you have a hard time getting the time.

Reply to
Cy Welch