Engine ID question

I've had the opportunity to finally start to look at the 'Bird and am curious as to what the engine really came out of. Its an orange block (assuming that means chevy) but there is no ID tag in the front behind the alt that I can see. The only numbers I can find are from the rear of the engine: "GM

3970010"

From what Google knows, that is an engine from 68-79 and its either a 350 or 327. I have receipts that this was rebuilt and from the amount of cords that are dangling in the engine bay I am assuming it is a different engine - Especially since the 85 didn't have a 350 option. :)

-Geno

1985 BLue Camaro 2.9L auto w/T-tops 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L auto w/T-tops 1985 Brown Firebird 5.7L (360) 5-speed NO T-tops Still looking for an '82-'84 T/A w/T-tops!
Reply to
KITTvsKARR

I checked to get the date code off the engine, but according to the picture I have, it should be about 2 inches to the left(more to the pass side) of the casting number.. but all I see is a oval bump running perpendicular to the casting number with either a 1 or 7 on the right side of the oval. Could they have ground this off when it was machined as well or is my information incorrect in that it is somewhere else on the engine? Thanks.

-Geno

1985 BLue Camaro 2.9L auto w/T-tops 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L auto w/T-tops 1985 Brown Firebird 5.7L (360) 5-speed NO T-tops Still looking for an '82-'84 T/A w/T-tops!
Reply to
KITTvsKARR

There's a date casting somewhere on the rear of the block also that will get you a better time line on the block. As for figuring out what size it is... The easiest way to check is to either pull a head and maesure the strioke or pull the oil pan and get the casting numbers off of the crank.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

I have 4 3970010 and one 3970014 350's. By the waterpump infront of the passengers side head, and blow it. There is a area that has Stamped numbers. This is what you want to further ID the block. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Thats what I am talking about.. it was completely redone... so I am assuming they machined the block.. which removed that plate on the front with all the vin info. And I looked in the back where the date code was supposed to be, and all I saw was that little either 1 or 7.. no other numbers or letters by it. Without taking the engine partially or fully apart.. is there anything else I can look for?

-Geno

1985 BLue Camaro 2.9L auto w/T-tops 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L auto w/T-tops 1985 Brown Firebird 5.7L (360) 5-speed NO T-tops Still looking for an '82-'84 T/A w/T-tops!
Reply to
KITTvsKARR

Not the VIN Number, the Production Codes.

No Engine builder is allowed to alter any VIN info that may be on a part. Federal laws and all that. Sometimes the stampings are very faint and hard to read.

What do the bills say was done. Give us a line for line. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Ok, according to the bills I have, all work was done at Baril Engine Rebuilding, Inc in Green Bay, Wi. it says from the mechanic handwrittten its a chevy 350 from what looks like either 1997 or 1977, it was (looks like) machineflexed the block, bored and honed it to .060, pulled oil and freeze plugs, washed block after machining, he replaced the valves, springs, seals, seats, (from here down this was a kit.. From Northern Auto Parts, a Chevy 350 69-80 Master Kit) Cam shaft (part CS CS274), timing set, plugs, rings, pistons, gaskets, valve lifters, moguls.

Does that help at all?

-Geno

1985 BLue Camaro 2.9L auto w/T-tops 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L auto w/T-tops 1985 Brown Firebird 5.7L (360) 5-speed NO T-tops Still looking for an '82-'84 T/A w/T-tops!
Reply to
KITTvsKARR

machineflexed is probably Magnafluxed. Sounds like someone order the right parts, and did the right work. With out the CC's of the heads you can't figure compression. Yet from what you have there a .60 over bored 350 aught to have some power.

Moguls probably means Federial Mongol. F-M bought out TRW Aftermarket some years ago. They make high quaility stuff. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Yeah, now that we have that slave cylinder replaced, it purrs once it warms up... still gotta figure out that damn manual choke though.. eventually I want to try to make it an electric one.. but thats low on the totem pole. :) Anyway, yeah in 4th gear you look at the gas and the needle buries in a heartbeat(only an 85 speedo though) But I found out I can squeel the tires in atleast the first 3 gears.. didn't try the other 2 though.. :) So if I get the copper washers reinstalled in the front brakes of the Formula.. I'll have all three cars drivable again.. :) Yeah. But every car has a lot of work approaching extremely fast.. not really looking forward to that...

-Geno

1985 BLue Camaro 2.8L auto w/T-tops 1988 Blue Firebird Formula 5.0L auto w/T-tops 1985 Brown Firebird 5.7L (360) 5-speed NO T-tops Still looking for an '82-'84 T/A w/T-tops!
Reply to
KITTvsKARR