series front hub seals and flushing oil.

why are landrover jobs never easy?

took the drum off the front corner and found ti was full of oil. Got all the bits to fix it (forgot the hub spanner again though so im still on the chisels!) and started stripping it tonight. Once i got the FWH off i found that the hub was full of chocolate sauce rather than oil.

The front hubs are fed from the swivel housings arent they? - so i guess my swivel housing is going to me just as manky.

Is there any easy way of flushing the swivel out? or am i going to have to remove the whole thing and clean it out?

How does so much water manage to get in there past the swivel seals? my seals are only a year or two old and dont seem to leak outwards that much!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Grease/oil mixture. The hubs have been grease lubricated for years. The oil comes from the axle. If really brown there's probably mud/water mixed in - confirmation will be dulled bearing rollers and races.

You might be lucky. There should be no grease but water/mud may have entered. Put on full lock, remove swivel housing fill plug and poke something in to get an oil sample. If you don't like what you see look in axle bowl, too.

Other than the hard way that you have already identified (and which would be best if you fit any new bearings) clear out as much as you can. Refill with new oil and drain and refill again after a short time. Make sure that the oil has got hot, drain when hot.

It doesn't have to get past the swivel seal (but probably does, too). When the axle cools after a run the air inside contracts and pulls in air/water etc. past any seals and the axle breather. Don't park with the axle immersed in water when hot. Water lying on a seal will get 'ingested'. Also check the axle breathers - they act as non-return valves so if leaky/missing the water goes straight in. It's very unlikely that the breather balls are in pristine condition - lever out the retaining plug, clean thoroughly and fit new ball.

Reply to
Dougal

its really brown!

my swivels have ep90 in. ive always just put grease in/on the wheel bearings and left the rest to be oil fed - so there shouldnt be a lot of grease in there? Or should i be shoving loads of grease into my hubs?

i did fit new breathers not too long ago. i will check them again.

I havent parked in any water recently as far as i can remember! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Not unknown!

My reference above to the hub oil coming from the axle included the swivels.

No! - definitely not, they'll overheat. Pack between the bearing rollers and about half fill the cavity between the two bearings.

Reply to
Dougal

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Oswestry? Not parked but definately water and the axles should have been quite hot by then... H'mmm

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

it didnt really get submerged much though. Even the ford wasnt really that deep. That was the last proper driving i did in it (still got a bit of special welsh mud stuck in the towball!), but im sure ive checked (inc draining a bit to check its vintage!) the swivel oil since then

Reply to
Tom Woods

bloody hell. started on corners 3 and 4 thisafternoon. I am amazed that the truck even stopped with brakes this bad!

drivers rear - drum is worn so brakes have a lot of travel drivers front - leaky hub seal so it was full of oil passenger front - both cylinders leaking brake fluid so this drum was nicely contaminated too passenger rear - cylinder rusted solid with the pads just touching the drum. I could tell it wasnt doing much as there was a spider with web inside the drum.

Time for trip number 3 to richard tommorrow!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Can we stop this 'truck' thing? - it makes me squirm!

Reply to
Dougal

I think i got it off Lee_D :p. It hasnt got a name, Its not a 'car'. 'vehicle' feels too formal. It hasnt quite pissed me off enough to be called a 'shed' and the words 'landrover' or 'landy' are used far too much in this group already, so 'truck' keeps it more interesting! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

It's rather transatlantic, too - better than 'jeep' though, I suppose.

My mother insists on referring to mine as a 'vehicle' in a very sarcastic, sneering sort of way.

Reply to
Dougal

I dont trust people who call vehicles 'jeep's (unless it is actually a jeep ofcourse!)

Thinking about it more i really cant see anything wrong with 'truck'. the road is full of 'vehicles'. vehicles break down into bikes, cars, vans and trucks as far as i can tell. Which category does a series landrover fall into? it isnt a car and its not a van either..

I suppose itcould be a 'tractor', but thats about as close as truck..

mine is a 'landrover' to the parents. I've got them well trained :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

And mine's a 'ute', as it really is - in this part of the world. Trucks is rather a Sepo word, to my way of thinking. And my ute is NOT a truck, nor a car (shudder)

I can sympathise with your brake dilemma, Tom - I was there about 4 - 6 weeks ago. Won't have time to even look at 'em this weekend after all, too much work on, and no need to use the ute for several weeks anyway, other than to do some spraying on the paddocks next week. But I'm pretty convinced that a new drum will be needed in the end.

Reply to
Duracell Bunny

Duracell Bunny uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Oh I do miss launching the passenger seat base on Percy, when I got to the top of the street and had forgotten how good the brakes were after leaving him parked up for a week or so, without fail the passenger seat back or base would be in a momentary free fall.... of course if I had passengers then it got more interesting.

My Mum and Dad know all the elder Landies by their names.... "Have you done anything on your Percy?" Is often asked when I pop over.... h'mmmm

If I ever pass this exam I'll be able to get stuck in and get him up and running again, nother 3 weeks and I'll know.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

|| the words || 'landrover' or 'landy' are used far too much in this group already

Not really surprising, though. ;-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

i'd get funny looks calling it a ute over here! :) I've always wondered if to be a ute does it have to be a pick-up/truckcab formation or is a ute anything which you can fill with crap and not worry about the interior/paint finish?

Just deciding wether to go with one new drum or do the other one too..

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Ok so I need to tidy my garage ;-)

You know it makes sense!

Lee D

Reply to