Monsoon stereo question (in a T/A)

I have a 2000 Trans Am Firehawk with the Monsoon stereo. The door speakers are dying one me, and I want to replace them. I have several questions:

  1. What size are the 2 door speakers (I think it is a 6" round for the main, but dunno about the tweeter)?

  1. What replacement speakers do you guys recommend for the main door speaker?

  2. What tweeter do you recommend for the door speaker?

  1. From what I can tell, the factory door speakers are true component speakers in that there is a crossover (presumably straight from the amp). Should I get a component set of speakers? If so, which do you recommend? Can I use the amp's connections, or should I somehow use the crossover that comes with the component speakers?

  2. Related to #2, if I just replace the main speaker with a 2-way, how can I get the full range audio signal to the speaker while at the same time get the higher power from the amp? I am assuming that the wires from the amp are already going through some internal crossover or frequency-liimiter.

Basically, I just want to replace the door main speakers, but am willing to consider a component system to replace all door speakers, if that is what is recommended. I do not need the "best" speakers because I will still be using the factory amp; I just need some decent quality speakers to replace the factory speakers. Thus, I don't want to change speaker size, get custom cutouts, etc. Stock replacement size is the idea.

Thanks!

Please replace the "NoSpam" with "MCI" in my email address in order to reply.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Joe Granto snipped-for-privacy@NoSpam.Com Senior Engineer Intel Engineering,MCI

Reply to
Joe Granto

Hi. It can depend on which RPO codes your car has. I have the factory service manuals for 2001 F-bodys. I know you have a 2000 but let's assume for the moment that 2000 and 2001 are similar. The Monsoon is based on a BOSE system which uses special 2 ohm speakers. Also, there can be some strange things as to how the tweeters are wired as compared to the door speakers etc. I would have to re-study it again to really give you more useful information, but even if you do study it you have to study the information pertaining to the specific RPOs you are dealing with. There are some differences between Pontiac and Chevy and also differences even within each brand.

If you are even a little bit handy, I suggest you purchase the manual set for you car. Even at $130 it can pay for itself in one job. Also, it is good to have if you have anyone other than the dealer work on it. A good independent mechanic shouldn't be too proud to have it come in handy if working on your car too.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

I beleave your best option is to talk with someone at crutchfield. They are not just a audio wholesaler. They actually take measurments and trial fit products. Unlike most places, they can actually tell you what will and will not work. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

I had all those questions when my speakers went out in my 99 Z with monsoon; if you want to upgrade your speakers you should upgrade the head unit too. Soon I found out that no one had any answers, even GM said that if you replace monsoon speakers with differant speakers, the speakers themselves won't receive the signal correctly and will crackle a lot. So after researching for about 3 months I decided that I didn't want to spend the money on a new head unit AND 6 new speakers, so I hopped on EBay and found a grouping of 4 monsoon speakers (2 fronts and 2 subs) for $54 plus shipping. I replaced the blown speaker and have another in spare. GM want's I THINK 80$ for each front and $60 for each sub and $70 for each rear.

Something to think about.

Reply to
99 Z Guy

You went to the car manufacturer for audio advice? There isn't a whole lot of reason a replacement speaker woudln't work correctly unless it was a vastly different impedance. I would imagine if they're not 4 ohm, they'd be

8 ohm speakers. You can get a very nice pair of aftermarket speakers for $160 and a decent sub for $60.

As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing to think about. If you're going to waste money at the dealer, you may as well take that money somewhere else and spend the same amount of money and get better equipment.

Reply to
Bruce Chang

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:15:21 GMT, "Bruce Chang" puked:

Why are there three wires on the door speakers? I bought some cheapos to replace the blown one in my 2000 and I was surprised to see three wires connecting them.

lab~rat >:-)

Wouldn't be surprised if you have a +, a - and a ground.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang
  1. Have a GM service shop run you off a vehicle inquiry report for your VIN. The report, among other things, will provide you with a complete list of RPO codes as manufactured.

  1. Buy, borrow or steal a factory service manual for your 2000 model year F-body. Want to buy, visit

The manual will have schematics for your sound system. It will also have schematics for different sound system schemes too. That's why you need to know all the RPO codes for YOUR vehicle. For example, I have a 2001 Camaro Z28 with RPOs UN0 and UZ7. Wiring specific to RPO UZ7 is laid out in a schematic that is different than some others. It should you what color wires, in what pins of what connectors cary which signals and where the terminate between the various equipment.

Is the $130 cost of the service manuals worth not having to try experimentation and guessing? I think it is. Or as others have said, visit a good library and if you're lucky they might have it too.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Or more likely a positive for the larger driver, a positive for the tweeter and a common ground. That's a guess though.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Own a 2000 Camaro. I changed mine last year for the same reason. Speakers had 4 wires; tweeter +/-, woofer +/-. Tweeters ran off of the head unit whereas the woofers ran from the amp in the trunk originally. Put in 6" Alpine S series. Rewired the whole sound system to put in an aftermarket of my own.

Reply to
Camaro Cowboy

- "There's a silver lining to every cloud.... It's just hard to see it when your sky is grey...."

Please drop the html.

Reply to
FBR