new clutch?? 02 SS 6 speed

i had to do a cross post.. the a.a.c. board is filled with way too much spam crap... i also forgot to mention in the other news board that i only drive the car around the block once or twice a week... its my show piece, not my daily driver... i bought the car with that mileage already...

anyways, i have a 2002 SS 6 speed with 22,000 miles on it.. everytime i change gears, usually 1-4, and into reverse, i hear a loud clunk comming for the rear of the car... i STILL havent taken it into the dealer to get it checked due to money problems.. i had posted about over a month ago about a strange clunking noise comming from the rear when i coast in neutral and am about to park... now i hear the same clunk when i shift sometimes... its starting to shift a little rough as well, strange, considering ive only had it since November and only use it once a week...

im taking it to the dealer as soon as i get my income tax check, so id like to prepare myself for the worst...

how much do you guys think it will be to replace the clutch at the dealer, including labor?

ASSUMING tats the problem with my car

Thanks in advance

Reply to
•° † =?

Sound to me like a whip/lash type of problem. The clutch does not normally cause this sort of problem. A more likely suspect is your U Joint's. Especially on a car that sits, and see's very low usage.

You car has 2 sets. One at the transmission yoke, one at the rear yoke. Each U Joint has a body (also called the Cross). on this their are 4 caps, filled with needle roller barrings. If the barrings are worn or gone, it will clunk. If the caps are missing or broken it will clunk. If the body is damaged, you have a major issue, as drive shaft loss can occur.

If it's the U-joints it is something you should have taken care of ASAP. Cost wise, even at $60 an hour it shouldn't cost more then $300. No the other hand if it's something like a damaged gear in the rear end, the costs can be high.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

thanks, i appreciate your response.. i will let the mechanic know about the u joints when i take the car in, since i wont know how to fix it myself...

it looks like the previous owner didnt take proper care of the car and drove it rough

oh well.. it sux buying a car and having to fix up someone elses mess ups =(

thanks for the help

Reply to
•° † =?