Oil Filter Bypass (in block) broke off !

Hi,

This is about my gf's 96 Nissan Sentra. I've tried other places on the net without satisfaction. I have an 88 GTA and have posted here before with success.

Anyway..... In the 96 Sentra, the oil filter bypass hole in the block is wide open all the time, and a spring can be seen just loosely lying in it. I don't know how long it has been broken. The car started making clacking noise from the engine about a year ago. (low oil pressure, maybe). Her oil pressure idiot light now comes on when hot and idling. I just discovered the wide open bypass hole a week ago.

The question is : Does having the bypass wide open all the time affect the oil pressure at the head ? I would guess NOT, since whether the oil goes thru the filter or the bypass hole, it still ends up at the same place, the head, correct ?? Maybe if the bypass valve were still intact the oil pressure in the head would actually be LOWER, since the filter and the bypass valve would be resisting the flow of oil.

I hope I am wrong. I hope by replacing the oil filter bypass valve (which Nissan refers to as an "oil pressure regulator" valve !! ) I will get some increase in oil pressure at the head and valves, and the clacking will go away.

ntw, I've had the oil pressure tested, and it is at ZERO when hot and idling, and only goes up to about 15 psi when reved to about 1500 rpm.

Thanks for any info !!!

Reply to
user132384

My guess would be that if this has been bypassing for any period of time you have been running unfiltered oir to the moving parts. The likely affect of this would be be to turn the engine into junk parts. You might be lucky, but based on the low pressure I would guess that you have some pretty bad wear. You might be able to keep it going a bit longer with thicker lubrication (higher oil weight) but that would just be masking the symptoms.

Reply to
Cy Welch

Reply to
SgtSilicon

What an ass. No reading skills either I see.

Reply to
aka-SBM

The bypass has nothing to do and yet, probably everything to do with your issue. Its rod and main time.

Reply to
aka-SBM

I'm sorry, I thought Nissan makes Sentras. I didn't realize they were GM and the 3rd variety of F-body. I see no reason why people looking to read a group about F-bodies need to have it polluted (that's in the sense of doesn;t belong, not that it's a bad post else wise) with issues with a Sentra, when there exist other more on topic groups for it.

As to the ass part, well your choice of "email" address speaks a lot about your sensitivity to other users of usenet.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Then are you a newbie? Im not..been in here for as long as anyone, other than perhaps Ron and NOI.

If you are not a newbie, and I know you are not, since you were here the last time I passed through, and the time before that 4 month time frame...etc....then you should know that while it might be the wrong newsgroup, he stated that he had been in here before and he trusted, in so many words, the opinions from the people in this group. He IS an F-Body owner, and you basically told him..f*ck off, we dont care about your jap crap....am I right? I think so.

Then you understand why I really dont give a flying sideways f*ck what you think about my attitude, or posting. That speaks more than I can say in a simple e-mail addy that I forgot to change when I came back in here. I was gonna change it, since someone else reminded me that it wasnt needed to be that harsh, but now, you can just killfile me under that one.

I also know you dont care, but its sure funny how he got the right information, IN HERE, from someone other than you, who, for whatever reason, thought his question was beneath you to answer....but wasnt beneath you to make him feel stupid.

Reply to
aka-SBM

My intent wasn't nearly so harsh. Notice I didn't use one curse word at the guy. I simply said "wrong group." There's been a lot of import talk in here of late and I din't take the time to take the whole situation in. It was my way of saying, ask questions about Sentras in a group more suited to them. Didn't realize the guy was an F-bod person. But then I really didn't bite off his head either.

Then why should anyone care about what you think of others postings?

I brought it up because you have apparently have a chip on your shoulder. I said "wrong group" to a guy and the next thing, you have some wild extreme ideas about what I am meaning to say, call me an ass, all the while using an email address like the one you used. See, some people wouldn't need to remember to change it because well, they wouldn't have set it to that in the 1st damn place.

Funny how much you think you know about other people. You might want to re-evaluate. I didn't answer because I didn't have the answers, and I told him wrong group because it seemed it was. Just that simple. No complex evil conspiracies. Holy shit. Where's the Tylenol.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

This is correct. After a year of this, I cannot see any way that the engine could be in a condition that would NOT require at LEAST rods and mains (assuming the crank is not damaged beyond repair). That's also even making an assumption that the cam bearings are not gone along with all other moving parts. If you run an engine with almost no oil for over a year, you can't expect it to not require a complete rebuild. (of course I know that you know that (Yes, I have been here as long as anybody else who is still here, remember googleplex and bottlebob? that's how far back I date))

Reply to
Cy Welch

Damn right...BB is still around, I run into him from time to time in crossposts.

Goog....me and NOI were talking about him one night for hours...someone said he died, but who knows?

Reply to
aka-SBM