"Oil on bypass"????

I went to a different oil change place. They informed me that my "Oil is on bypass". He couldn't tell me what that means, but said there wasn't any oil up in the filter because it was bypassed. Can someone explain? TIA

Reply to
Stubby

Im not sure what he means or how he knows without cutting open the filter and again im guessing here. There is a bypass valve in the filter for when pressure is to high it bypasses it, as when its thick cold oil or a clogged filter it bypasses it . What type of filter, how many miles on it, was oil real black. Call them back because 4 cil have also an anti drain valve in filters since filter is mounted upside down to prevent draining and " No oil in filter" starts. You should be able to remove filter and oil stays inside, the only way to know its empty is cut it open. And pressure Bypass should be only under pressure . So how does he know, you should have kept the old filter. It sounds like you " oil change Pro" is a hack.

Reply to
m Ransley

The way it is supposed to work is that If blockage occurs in the filter, bypass valves open. This allows oil to go around the filter and back to the engine. Dirty oil is better than no oil.

It is no big deal if you change your oil and filter regularly. I do my own, and in the 30 years of changing my own oil, I had it happen once.

Reply to
timbirr