OT Question

Working on an 85 4WD 2 door S-10 Blazer with the 2.8 V6. Does anyone know if these originally had catalytic converters? It doesn't have a cat now and looks like it never did. Found some headers for it and would like to just put on mufflers and pipes coming out in front of the back tires.

Reply to
FBR

If it was origianaly sold in the U.S., it came with a catalytic converter. Gary

Reply to
Gary - KQ6RT

It should have one. Goes next to the transmission, and has a exit pipe that dog-leggs over the torsion bar mount cross member. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

That's two that says it had one. I'm really surprised. There's no heat shield and the exhaust that's on it looks stock. I think I'll go with the headers/mufflers/turnouts though. It's only driven a few times a year when Dad or I go hunting and I can't see putting a pair of cats on it. One of the reasons I'm going with the headers is the little air feed lines coming off the exhaust manifolds are pretty well rusted out. (That plus Jegs has a set of Hedmanns for only $138.00) Figured I'd pull the air pump and all the other related hoses off too. It's got a little 2 barrel carb and HEI so I figured with a little work recurving the advance and the headers it might pick up a horse or two and some better milaeage as well. I pulled the inner fenderwells while looking the critter over for rust and figured now would be the time to do it. You wouldn't think a 2.8 V6 would be hard to work on but you can't get to diddly on it without going through the fenderwells. Even changing the oil filter requires jacking it up and pulling the left front tire usually.

Thanks for the info!

Reply to
FBR

Oil filter is easy on 4.3 4x4's. Open hood, stand infront of drivers side headlamp. Remove filter. Even some 2.8 trucks have this set-up as well.

On the A.I.R. Tubes, if you cut them off at the nuts, you can MIG weld them closed.

As for the mystery of the cat. Look at the emmissions decal and see if it states the vehical conforms to Federial or Califronia emmissions standards, or says Emissions Exempt.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

FBR wrote: You wouldn't think a 2.8 V6 would be hard to work on but

my 86 has a cat. Dunno if it's still working or not... but it's there. (it used to rattle real bad, I think the guts have blown out.)

and yeah, hard to believe people put 350's in there... the 2.8 is a tight fit lengthwise. try taking the filter off from the top - I wuss out and do it cold now so I don't burn myself on the exhaust manifold.

Where's your fuel filter? Mine's BEHIND the power steering pump. Nice.

Ray

Reply to
user