Re: Mixing Yellow and Red Brake Fluid = Disaster?

Say WHAT?

most owners manuals/haynes/chilton books, and even some bottles of brake fluid tell you NOT TO MIX FLUIDS!

DOT 3 is the norm nowadays, so its a good chance your brakes could be screwed....Mixing is a NO NO!

Jason

Reply to
Jason Sobol

DOT 3, DOT 4, and DOT 5.1 are all glycol based fluid and can be mixed. The main difference between the fluid is the boiling point. DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 are much harder to find in the stores here in the US as the domestic manufactures all specify DOT 3.

DOT 5 (silicone based) is a different type of fluid. Silicone and glycol fluids won't mix and would seperate if combined in a system. Although not likely to happen, if mixed, it would not cause any damge or malfunction to the brake system.

Reply to
Big Dav160

OP here. Yes, there was red brake fluid at one time. I still have a can of it, and it is DOT 3.

Mixing diff TYPES is dangerous, yes, but I think I am OK because the red (old) is DOT 3 (or maybe DOT2) and the new (yellow) says it is DOT3 fluid and is "DOT2 compatible".

Reply to
Lecher9000

DOT 2 fluid should be disposed of immediately. It doesn't have a high enough boiling point for disc brake systems. Besides that bottle of DOT 2 is so old it is most likely saturated with water.

Reply to
Big Dav160

Been in automotive since I was literally old enough to walk....and since 67, I dont recall red fluid unless it was contaminated...

Reply to
CBHvac