weird headlight problem

i've got a 97 transam and today when i lock the doors and set the alarm instead of the 2 horn chirps and the fog lights blinking the headlights pivot open then close and the motor on the left light spins for about 10 seconds. anybody ever encounter this. thanx, rick

Reply to
Rick Grigutis

Sounds like it might be a problem with the headlight motor.... or rather the plastic gear inside..... check this website out for more info at

(I had to do this fixa few months ago... it's not bad.... not hard.... and there is plenty ofinstructions.)

Reply to
William Allen Morgan

Rick Grigutis wrote: : i've got a 97 transam and today when i lock the doors and set the alarm : instead of the 2 horn chirps and the fog lights blinking the headlights : pivot open then close and the motor on the left light spins for about 10 : seconds. anybody ever encounter this. thanx, rick

Stripped gear in the headlight motor. Very common.

The sound happens because there is no limit switch to tell the computer that the headlight is closed. What happens is the headlight hits a stop which then stalls the motor. The current through the motor shoots up and the computer senses it and shuts it off. Since the gear is stripped, the motor never stalls and the computer doesn't shut it off until it times out after a few seconds.

I see that in another response there is a pointer to Brent Frankers homepage. There is some good information there. The "fix" is to disconnect the headlight from the motor and rotate the motor shaft 180 degrees to utilize the "other" side of the gear since the motion to open and close the headlight only uses half the nylon gear. This is a temporary fix at best because you will wear out and strip the other half of the gear over time as well.

At that point you will have two choices: 1. Spring for a new headlight motor or a used one from a junkyard. These are also temporary fixes since the replacements will also have the nylon gear that is the real weak link in the design. 2. Buy a set of replacement gears and permanently fix the motors you already have. Brent offered at one time (and still does, I presume) a replacement gear made from brass. I purchased a pair of these for my TA and have not had a problem since. If you are going to hang on to the car for any length of time, I'd reccommend the purchase of the brass gears. They are easy to install and permanently fix the problem.

Marshall G. Ward, III

1996 T/A, WS6, 6-Speed, Med Dk Green, Hardtop, T43 Spoiler, 10 Spk CD, Pwr Ant, Graphite cloth, Pwr seat, Keyless entry w/alarm, Leather Appointments Group MODS: !CAGS, K&N, Synthetic Engine/Trans/Diff fluid, Magna Flow Muffler Hotchkis 2 pt STB and SFC's, B&M Ripper shifter License Frame:"One of 2051/1996 Ram Air Trans Am" License Plate: "RAIR TA"
Reply to
Marshall Ward