'02 Explorer Compass Problem

I've got an '02 Explorer Eddie Bauer edition that has a malfunctioning compass. Seems that has forgot where north and east is and every thing is shown as west or southwest or south regardless if you pointing due north. Any ideas how to fix this or reset it? Thanks!

David S.

Reply to
das

malfunctioning

I just bought a 2002 Explorer XLT and was reading the manual over the weekend. I believer you can reset the region code for your compass in order to improve its accuracy. Based on how these embedded electronics typically behave, I suspect updating your region code will act as a hard 'reset' of the compass and may fix your problem.

Reply to
burnsdavidj

Have you (or the car) recently made a major east-west move? Dave Burns is right - you MUST perform the "region adjustment". The failure symptom is exactly what you describe - it says that every direction is South (or whatever).

Unfortunately, adjusting the compass on my early-build '02 is extremely frustrating - the procedure in the manual doesn't seem to work as described. I have been told that there is a new improved procedure, but haven't been able to uncover it. If anyone has it, I would be grateful for a copy.

I go back and forth twice a year between Maine and Arizona. Bought my Explorer in New England, and when I got to Arizona a month later it was doing the exact thing you describe. Since it was still under warranty, I took it to the dealer, who adjusted it at no charge, but kind of chided me about my dumbitude. Since then, I have adjusted it as soon as I can when I move one way or the other - but occasionally I haven't gotten around to it right away, and Bingo! The same problem recurs.

HTH

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

Try the region adjust and also the calibration where you drive in circles. That should remove any bias the compass would have.

Reply to
HerkyJerky