02 Explorer Died and won't start...Security System?

I left my explorer running, ran into a gas station to get a soda. I came out, put it in Reverse, then noticed that it had died. I tried to restart (still in Reverse), remembered to put it back in park, turned the key and it won't turn over. I get dash lights, but nothing else. Mechanic says the security system is "screwed up" (not a Ford Mechanic). Battery is good, starter works when jumped. We did unhook the battery and that didn't help. He has checked ignition wires etc. I also tried my extra key to make sure it wasn't a bad key.

Any ideas?

I find it odd that it was running at the time the problem started. The vehicle has never stalled or died on me before. What could quit and make the whole thing drop dead like that?

Thanks Jena

Reply to
JMartin

For how long did you unhook the battery? Not sure but I think it take awhile for the computer to reset, bout an hour I believe.

Searcher

Reply to
Searcher

If the vehicle was hit by another in the parking lot, I think that might have tripped your fuel pump switch. You may need to reset it. wth

Reply to
wth

Why not start simple with the simple things.....

Have spark ???????

Have fuel @ fuel rail ??????

Pats lite flashing fast while cracking ????????

Let us know and we 'll go from there

Reply to
johanb
  1. Fuel pump has a safety cut out that can be reset. Try this first.... usually down under carpet on passenger side... not sure where the 2000 is.

  1. Next, check all electrical circuits one at a time. Check all lights, check radio, windows etc. Ford have habit of doubling up fuses. One fuse that (for instance) takes out the ignition system MAY be in parallel with a turn light, wiper or radio. This happened on my 94 when tranny solenoid blew fuse, paralleled with engine computer and radio. Symptoms EXACTLY same as yours.

Try these two first.

David Raleigh

Any ideas?

I find it odd that it was running at the time the problem started. The vehicle has never stalled or died on me before. What could quit and make the whole thing drop dead like that?

Thanks Jena

Reply to
No Email Address