'04 Transmission Question

I have an '04 Explorer, purchased in April. Up until now everything's been just fine. However, cold weather is upon us and the transmission is beginning to do something weird.

When I leave for work in the morning, I immediately hop on a strech of road with a 55 mph speed limit for about 5 miles or so. Lately, the morning temperature has been in the upper 20s. I notice that the transmission doesnt "torque lock" anymore until I'm pretty near the end of that stretch of road, even though I'm going 55 mph. During the summer, the transmission would lock right away when I turned onto that road.

it seems to me that as the temperature is dropping, it's taking longer and longer for the transmission to "lock". It's almost as if the engine has to get up to operating temperature before it lets the transmission lock, and because of the cold weather, the engine is taking longer to heat up.

Do I have a problem here, or is the transmission designed to do this? I figure it could be a government mandated emissions reduction kind of thing. You know, keep the engine revolutions up until engine reaches operating temperature to minimize pollution.

So it this normal, or should I be taking it in for service? Any advice is appreciated

dickm

Reply to
dicko

This is normal.... engine coolant temp signal and trans fluid temp signal are part of the information used to determine if converter lockup is appropriate..

Reply to
Jim Warman

It will not lock until fluid temperature is over 140 degrees. Lockup at cold engine temperature could cause bearing failure. Also your engine's max power is not reached until temps are 180 degrees and above. Have a gear ratio higher than 3:73 and it will take even longer. 99% chance you have no problem except that you live in one heck of a cold place. Move to Florida if you want quick lock up's and 5th. or 6th. gear on cold starts.

R> I have an '04 Explorer, purchased in April. Up until now everything's

Reply to
Ron

Thanks for the answers. I kind of suspected it was normal operation.

dickm

Reply to
dicko
20 is cold???? Hell, that's when I wonder where the loving bride put my jacket....

Reply to
Jim Warman

I roger that, Jim.

Our nighttime temp in the winter are frequently in the minus

15 to minus 20 (f) range!
Reply to
Alan Moorman

That's downright sick!

Last year we dipped below zero for the first time in many years and that was some nasty stuff.

Reply to
Mark