1994 Explorer XL Running weird

Hi guys, I have a 94 Explorer XL and it looks like the O2 Sensor is doing some problems when I'm waiting on the red lights. While I'm waiting, the battery gage start to go up and down and the engine start to go weird. Looks like the O2 sensor is reading lean and give more gas to the engine, so it keeps running rough, sluggish and only on the idle. When running on high way or usual road everything is perfect. I just changed the pipe for the vapor box and since then the truck is running like that. Also I would like to know the procedure to reset the memory of the computer. Any advise would be apreciated. Regards

Mark snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
The Punisher

Pipe for vapour box???? If you have made a change or a repair and the car is now running strangely, it would be wiser to double check the work performed and the parts used.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Actually, the pipe I changed is the one that the O2 sensor hoses plug to and that is connected to the manifold. It run strange since we replaced it, we had to because the old one was rusty and the cancer eat it through. Any idea? Thanks

Mark

"Jim Warman" a écrit dans le message de news:gwAgc.34427$mn3.34257@clgrps13...

Reply to
The Punisher

Never Forget

AbitRip

That's correct, I changed this pipe, since that the truck is running like that. I didn't changed the O2 sensor, I only reconnect the sensor hoses(2) to the pipe.

"AbitRip" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
The Punisher

OK.... the O2 sensors have no hoses going to them.... none... zip... nadda. I'm going to assume that you change the EGR pipe.... at this point, I'm also going to assume that you hooked the hoses up backwards....

It is vitally important that we get the nomenclature right if anyone is going to have even a prayer of helping you. There's not a soul here that minds helping out where they can...... it just ain't gonna happen if we aren't all on the same page.

Like I said.... if we make a change or a repair and we suddenly see poor performance or unintended behaviour, we need to doublecheck our work.

Jim Warman

I plug the hose correctly, the size is different because one is bigger that the other. I thought about it and you get a check engine when plugged backward. If the O2 sensor doesn't have any hose what is this 2 X 3 inches box that you plug the hoses to? Where is the O2 sensor? I understand and you are right about the double check, which I did and everything seems to be ok. Now it look like the problem is on what he read inside of the EGR pipe that changed everything, the old one was cutted in half and all rusty, truck was noisy and now this trouble comes out. I have no clue what it could be. Thanks

Mark

"Jim Warman" a écrit dans le message de news:9uFgc.47716$dg7.13283@edtnps84...

Reply to
The Punisher

That is the DPFE sensor.... a problem area with these systems. The sensor can be tested by monitoring the voltage on the signal return while applying vacuum to the upstream port on the DPFE.... I'll try to remember to check the manual this afternoon to see what the reading should be at what vacuum...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks a bunch Jim! I really apreciate all the help you give me. How do you read the vacuum on those DPFE sensor? What is the purpose of the DPFE sensor? I thought this was the O2 sensor :-D. A friend of mine told me that the EGR valve could also be defective and that it could be stucked open. The EGR sensor is rusty and it will need to be changed in the near future. Now that I changed the pipe there is more exhaust emission that goes inside the EGR and it could eat more carbon. When the truck is cold there is no problem, when hot I keep the brake pedal down, running at 600 RPM, and the truck give more gas for a second and start to run little faster, slower, faster, slower etc... When running on road I have power loss and the engine is not giving power as it should. What is your idea on this? Regards

Mark

"Jim Warman" a écrit dans le message de news:9UUgc.49813$dg7.25103@edtnps84...

Reply to
The Punisher

Just bought a new EGR valve and DPFE sensor, will put that on and see if it works out. Will keep you updated.