1994 ford explorer FIRE in the power mirror control switch

Had a door fire today. Came from my mirror control switch in the front door. Had my kids in the car. Got lucky and got out before the fire jumped. Luckily have only a burned out front door. Read that there was a recall from Ford about this condition on this model. Does anybody know if I can hold Ford responsible that they pay for my frontdoor? Thanks.

Reply to
lilimcgilly

I haven't heard of any recalls on this condition but you can PM me with your VIN and I'll run OASIS to be sure....

The car is 11 years old... surely to God the manufacturer can't be held responsible for any "unauthorized" modifications or repairs....

I had a 12 year old Black and Decker toaster oven go up in flames.... coulda took out my whole house. It was a 12 year old toaster... I dealt with it.

Reply to
Jim Warman
97S70 MAY 97 Recall - Power Mirror Switch Jumper Harness ?

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

Sounds like maybe I can get my power mirrors working again now :-) They haven't worked since the last muddy season.

Reply to
Ulysses

I don't know Jim.

I wouldn't buy anything that said 'after x years, this product may catch fire'.

The car is 11 years old... surely to God the manufacturer can't be held responsible for any "unauthorized" modifications or repairs....

I had a 12 year old Black and Decker toaster oven go up in flames.... coulda took out my whole house. It was a 12 year old toaster... I dealt with it.

Reply to
stevie

Being realistic, there are few modern products that use fuel of any sort (including electricity) that such a sticker would not be appropriate. Things break. That's reality.

Reply to
Bill Funk

Thanks for all your replies. The recall number is 97V083000 and I got it from the nhtsa webpage. I called Ford and they give me the expected runaround. Does anybody has a clue what I can do? They can be happy that nobody got killed and I got my kids out in time.

Reply to
lilimcgilly

Sure. Go to a salvage yard and get a replacement door w/internals . Have a body shop replace it for you, if you can't do it. H

Reply to
Hairy